Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Unit, Royal Naval Division

seaJane

Just discovered "Official History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation of Gallipoli" by Surgeon Rear Admiral Arthur Gaskell (Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service, various issues, 1925-1926).

Any interest PM me.

Apologies for cross-posting to various forums but it means that those who scan rather than search will see it.

• 3 years later...

Message received & understood gents. Will reply presently!

Available online:

"Naval Medical History of the War: Official History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the Evacuation of Gallipoli" by Surgeon Rear-Admiral Arthur Gaskell JRNMS Volumes 11-12. 1925-1926. Initial pages, from page 193 not linked; pages 276-291; pages 36-57; pages 121-140; pages 219- 227; pages 288-309. Archive.org. 

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen, those were the very links I was planning to post as soon as I had the time to look them up!

Do you need me to post a link to p.193? I'm not quite clear there.

sJ

Oh yes, I remember now. The first section is the decision to set up the unit, the training in Blandford, and ?transit to Gallipoli. Including a plan of Blandford Camp and some lists of personnel iirc.

Fantastic links - many thanks!

I have a long-standing project on the back-burner on an SRA in the Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve in the RM Brigade, RND.  It's tangentially connected to the Liverpool Scottish commandos who went on the St Nazaire Raid in WW2.  I have some of his record and know he was at Antwerp, thus getting the 1914 Star, but getting gen on the RND medical services has been mostly unrewarding.  These links will really help!

Mark

Here is the link to the first part. NB p.195 which says: "The commanding officers and medical officers in the RN Division at Antwerp were as follows:"

https://archive.org/stream/JRNMSVOL11Images/JRNMS_VOL_11#page/n199/mode/2up

Sequence is Deal - Antwerp - Reorganization - Blandford - Crystal Palace.

Another list of MOs is given on page 206.

@MBrockway - Mark - quite a few mentions of the RNASBR at this link.

sJ

Edited by seaJane
Information for Mark

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Here is the link to the first part. NB p.195 which says: "The commanding officers and medical officers in the RN Division at Antwerp were as follows:"

https://archive.org/stream/JRNMSVOL11Images/JRNMS_VOL_11#page/n199/mode/2up

Sequence is Deal - Antwerp - Reorganization - Blandford - Crystal Palace.

Another list of MOs is given on page 206.

sJ

Thanks Jane - I'd already found the earlier sections from working backwards, but much appreciated all the same:  Happy New Year by the way!

This has moved that particular project forwards hugely: the RNASBR contingent at Antwerp is mentioned specifically several times.

My chap was in 9th (Chatham) battalion under Fleet Surgeon Finch at Antwerp and afterwards discharged back to Depot in Feb 1915 - exactly in line with the JRNMS articles.

Mark

Our posts crossed!

:) I should have known you'd be able to find it out for yourself. Glad it's helped!

1 minute ago, seaJane said:

:) I should have known you'd be able to find it out for yourself. Glad it's helped!

It's what comes from our good training - LOL!

:P