Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To sand or not to sand

Khaki

What's your opinion on this, you find a nice German K88 carbine all original condition, matching numbers and regimental markings on the metal, the only negative is that some owner decided to checker around the wrist, you want to buy the carbine but hate the sight of the checkering. Do you buy the weapon and 'live with the checkering', or buy it and break out the sandpaper and rasps/files or perhaps just walk away from a reasonably uncommon arm.

ps the checkering is not too deep and is amateur

khaki

Me buy it and as if you say a bit amature and not to deep ,then gently restore ,sounds like a nice buy

The Boer Mausers i have seen tend to be quite well done and decrotive ,with sometimes a name and such like.

I have not found any markings that would link it with Boer ownership, in fact the overall condition exceeds Boer weapons that I have seen, if I had to choose I would say that the checkering was done 'in the field' and not in a workshop.

The Boer suggestion is interesting and if there were some provenance to support that, I would consider leaving it intact especially if it was a name or date, but it is only checkering.

khaki

I made the mistake of not buying a M1917 a few years back because I wanted a shooter and the barrel was black. A guy I know bought it and the barrel cleaned up great. I've been kicking myself ever since as it turned out to be a great rifle. I vote "go for it."

I have the K88 or should I say, I have the checkering with a carbine attached, for better or for worse, at least I guess I can sit around and snarl at it.

khaki

So let's have PICTURES!

in my view the deciding factor would have been price.... but then that's just me.

I always know there are all sorts of better examples of rifles out there, but the vast majority of them are going to be out of my reach so....whenever I run across something like this the key issue really (and sorry to be crass about it) is price. Is the damage done to the rifle (odds are chequering on the US Market was done in someone's basement not on the veld) reflected in the purchase price...and how does that price relate to my interest in the weapon. If it is super cheap I might consider it as a "place holder" until a better example comes along that I can afford.

Chris