Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Butcher Bayonet Regimental Markings

Garron

Hey Pals.

Picked up this bayonet online and I'm having trouble deciphering the Regimental markings.
Its Erfurt made, stamped W10 on the spine.

Markings are 2 A.F 6.70

post-7438-0-21053100-1390318074_thumb.jp

I'm thinking Foot or Field Artillery,

Can anyone help?

Diolch
Gaz

Would that be these guys?

Pommersches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.2

Diolch
Gaz

Thanks very much, Its a bit of a trade up compared to my other S98/05, its in better condition, needs a bit of a clean but for what I paid for it, I'm happy.

Gaz

Fußartillerie-Regt. von Hindersin (1. Pommersches) Nr.2 (Swinemünde-Emden) II Armee Korps

Just keep in mind that A.F. equals Foot Artillerie and not Field Artillerie. Nice find with such an earlier date stamp.

Cheers, S>S

Cheers S>S

I wasn't sure if there was a difference between Foot and Field artillery. That is going to be an interesting caption/description to put underneath it when I put it on display.

Yeah SW, I haven't found a S98/05 without a flash guard yet, dare say they are about but never come across any in any shops when I'm looking.

Diolch
Gaz

Also of interest is that it as been modified to accept the later flashguard. -SW

As well as had it's original "high ears" ground down, so essentially it has been changed from the 'alter Arte' profile, to the 'neuer Arte' profile.

The high ears are usually a good sign that an example is early and has not been modified. They are a bit scarcer as many were 'upgraded'.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-41096800-1390426154_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Very nice regimental marking! There is a companion piece, as it were, on a W/09 98/05 a.A transitional (i.e., with lowered ears and added flashguard) - 1.A.F.4.22 (Williams p. 415). Note that on on your example there is no 'dot' after the 'F', so this is technically an 'irregular' marking!

... The high ears are usually a good sign that an example is early and has not been modified. They are a bit scarcer as many were 'upgraded'.

Still catching up and re-reading old posts after my long absence... So, some clarification needed here... What SS means to say is that high ears (and the lack of flashguard) are ALWAYS a good sign of an early bayonet that has not been modified! On 3rd September 1915, existing bayonets with high ears were ordered to be modified with, inter alia, the ears cut down (and flashguards fitted), so basically, anything with high ears (and no flashguard!) is 'early', i.e., up to 1915 and not modified afterwards.