The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trying to ID Brodie

6th Shropshires

Hi all

I have been looking for a website that shows the different Patterns of Brodie Helmets without much luck. Can anyone point me to one because I am trying to ID one for some one here in Ludlow.

I am 95% sure it's great war from the look and also they told me that their relative to whom it belonged passed away in the 1960's aged in his 90's so unlikely to have served in 2nd War but I would like to be 100% sure.

If I can not find on a website, I will post a photo of the helmet on here (I do not have photo yet).

The helmet is rimless and has what looks like a holy cross on it -we are thinking chaplin's helmet, the family said their relative did do some preaching (Metherdist) around town, so he may have been a chaplin ?

Anyway we need to ID this helmet has Great War or not as the case may be because they what to used it for a Great War display for our local library but if its a post Great War then it can not be used for the display.

Regards

Annette

A couple of photos - one of the inside will soon answer what it is.

David

Will have to wait until next week for photos, also I did not think to tell them how best to take photos either :blink: looks like I will have to go down the town again tomorrow :angry2:

Cheers David

Hi Annette,

If you scroll down about nine topics from your present thread you will find one about a chaplain's helmet, albeit with a rim. That might be a good starting point as it has some photos.

Regards,

Michael..

Hi Micheal

I did have a look at that thread before I made my post, that one as a rim but the liner looks a lot like the one I was looking at today. But I have just seen a new post in Insignia that shows a rimless one that does look very much like it.

The markings are different as well but will be looking up Chaplains and markings used by different religions later.

Hi Annette,

Bear in mind that some of the earlier, rimless helmets have the later liner. Some were, in my opinion, made that way and others were reconditioned and a new liner fitted.

Good luck with your enquiries anyway.

Regards,

Michael.

Went and took my own photos of helmet today.

post-6616-0-64467300-1390303578_thumb.jp

post-6616-0-71925200-1390303717_thumb.jp

post-6616-0-24314200-1390303770_thumb.jp

post-6616-0-74698000-1390303866_thumb.jp

post-6616-0-63903600-1390303921_thumb.jp

post-6616-0-43612500-1390303999_thumb.jp

Very hard to tell if it ever has had a rim fitted, but unquestionably a WW1 Brodie to be regarded as a nice find!

David

Cheers David I can now tell the ladies who showed by the helmet that they can used it in Great War display at the library.

Annette

Absolutely.

Cheers Scott

It is a Mk I B pattern mid 1917, missing it's rim versus rimless.

According to Specification No. TW/46 (18/11/1915) and Specification No. TW/91 (14/9/1916), the proper nomenclature is Type D. The Type B (Specification No. TW/3(E)) are for the mild steel type which were painted in rainbow camouflage.

I don't see any evidence that this example ever had a rim.

AEF are u referring to US specifications as opposed to British? I agree it is a British as described earlier.

TT

And rimmed but minus rim as often occurred

The specifications are British. Comparison shows that the initial US specifications are copied nearly word-for-word.

I'm still not seeing evidence there was a rim. The sand texture goes all the way to the edge.

Just to add to this -when looking at the helmet I could not see any signs that it once had a rim which had come off ?

Annette

I agree with aef1917 and 6th Shropshires. The paint on the helmet in question looks original and appears to continue to the edge. I can see no

reason to say the rim is missing.

Regards,

Michael.