Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

alembic

I've just discovered my Grandfather was the Brigade Major of the 151st Infantry Brigade from June 1916 through to April 1918.

His name L. D Daly. He had been with the Royal Leinster Regiment.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to research the activity of the Brigade during this period. For instance are there any specific 151st Brigade Records? Or is the history of the brigade covered in any Books?

I know at one stage the Brigade HQ was in Wancourt but would welcome any research advice .

Many thanks in advance

I have information of the units of the Bde but not the Brigade HQ - hopefully this should be digitised later this year.

I'm still transcribing the diaries but so far I've not seen a mention by name although there are mentions to inspections by the Brigade Major in the 6th DLI diary (link below)

Craig

Thanks Craig,

I'll checkout your diary blog.

alembic

I've got incomplete sections of the brigade diary covering June to September 1917 - his signature is on many of the orders and reports as well as the end of each month. It's worth downloading when you get the chance -though I happy to do look-ups if you have any specific dates of interest.

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Where is the brigade diary held? Is it at the National Archive and if so how do I find it?

Many thanks

Mark

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Where is the brigade diary held? Is it at the National Archive and if so how do I find it?

You would have to see the paper copy at the National Archive - as yet it's not one of the diaries available for digital download although it should be making an appearance later this year.

Craig

Sure - I'm happy to go to the National Archive but I've yet to find any reference online to the 151st Brigade Diaries and want to know the correct search terms to find out how to order them.

Mark

alembic

I've got incomplete sections of the brigade diary covering June to September 1917 - his signature is on many of the orders and reports as well as the end of each month. It's worth downloading when you get the chance -though I happy to do look-ups if you have any specific dates of interest.

Kind regards

Colin

Colin - would it be possible for you to upload a couple of pages of the diary that contain my Grandfathers signature? Also what is the correct identification numbers for this file? For instance WO/95???? - many thanks in advance if you are able to do this - Mark

Thank's for that Craig

Mark

Due to limitations on size for attached images I've had to crop it somewhat - the diary will be released for download at some stage this year. If you can send me an email by private message I can send you a few more pages.

Kind regards

Colin

post-47743-0-84360800-1390242820_thumb.j

Colin ,

Thanks for that. All of this has pushed me to book into the National Archive and I am going there tomorrow.

best regards

Mark

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Does anyone have the war diaries covering 20th July 1916, I am looking to see if Gunner L16453 Clitheroe who was killed in action on this date was mentioned?

Regrads

Jim

Jim

I fear you want the war diary for 151st Brigade Royal Field Artillery. This thread concerns 151st Infantry Brigade - these are two different units/formations. I would suggest starting a separate thread to avoid confusion.

151st Bde RFA was with 30th Division but was broken up in August 1916 if this is of any assistance.

Kind regards

Colin