Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th DLI MM citation help please

garfyboy

Hi Folks

I am looking up one L/CPL WILLIAM CRANNEY - 18803 19th DLI (PALS)

William was awarded the MM and i would love to know where and when, i have tried the london gazette and couldnt find anything allthough i am a novice on there and maybe wasnt looking in the right place.

William was KIA 1st oct 1918

cheers

Andy

his MM is in the supplement to the london gazette page 2117 11th feb 1919.

i think the only way of finding information on how it was won is by checking the war diaries for the 19th DLI.

wow, thanks Graeme, your a star and im chuffed to bits with the detail, i must buy the book (and do the lottery)

Yes i did purchase the scroll on ebay along with another to his brother in a identical frame, lovely set but i didnt pay the silly money he was asking

ps: if i win the lottery ill buy you a beer :blink:

It's a shame page 257, covering the day he was killed, isn't in the preview Graeme posted (I would have liked to read it myself).

The 19th DLI war diary is quite brief for the 1st October:

"GHELUWE SWITCH

Attacked the GHELUWE SWITCH, but only advanced about 200 yards. Held up by strong line of pill boxes, entanglements and heavy machine gun fire. Relieved by 17th Lancashire Fusiliers and moved into support under very heavy bombardment."

The battalion was advancing SE down from America Cabaret towards Reeke.

Phil

Andy,

More from the war diary:

12th September

Battalion relieved 17th Lancashire Fusiliers in left sub sector of CANAL SECTOR. Relief completed without incident. Situation quiet.

13th September

At dawn, an enemy patrol was seen approaching one of our own advanced posts, from a distance of about 200 yards. L/CPL CRANNEY who was in command of the post gave orders for fire to be with-held until the patrol was within 30 yards and then with two of his men, rushed out and took the whole of the patrol ( a corporal and 4 men) prisoners.

A little bit more from the 104 Infantry Brigade HQ diary:

Two of the prisoners were wounded.

Identification 40th Saxon Division

Thanks for the diary Phil , it is brief but still nice to have

All the best

Hi Phil, i dont suppose you have a 1918 map of this area do you please??

andy

Andy,

Gheluwe Switch; I have as many as you want. I should have further West as well.

Give me a while to sort something out and I'll email you.

Phil

Hi all, does anybody have the Durham Pals book by John Sheen? i have seen page 255 and it mentions Cranney winning his MM, but unable to see previous two pages - 253/254 so unsure as to the exact date in which Cranney won his MM???

can anyone help please

Andy

Cheers phil, I'm going blind ...... Doh

• 1 year later...

Hi -

I did a Google search recently for 'Cranney' and 'Military Medal' and your entries on this forum popped up.

William and John Cranney were brothers of my Great Grandad, James, who also fought with the DLI in the Great War.

I am very keen to re-unite the two citations with William's Military Medal and other artefacts which remain in our family. Unfortunately, certain items became separated / sold in recent years.

If you are still in possession of the two citations and could get back to me via the forum, that would be great.

Many thanks.