Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on Meuse-Argonne Offensive?

Guest 1913Erfurt

Guest 1913Erfurt

I'm looking for a detailed account of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, one of which would include all divisons and regiments on both sides that participated in this action. Thanks to all.........

Guest 1913Erfurt

Yes, my Great Uncle Clifford Volney Church was in the 80th Division AEF. He was a Major by rank. Buried in Arlington Cemetary. I have the P08 Luger he removed from a German officer during the offensive, thus my Forum name. Researching the Luger's unit markings show that it was supplied to the 138th German Infantry Regt. I am in the process of obtaing his military record from St. Louis but have only a 20% chance that they will have his records, as 80% of all military records from his era were destroyed in the 1973 fire there. Wish me luck, takes about 2 months to get a reply from them if they have his records at all......

Thank you very much for sharing this information. All the very best with your efforts. While the 'American Armies and Battlefields in Europe' CD is a fabulous resource, I do have the titles of several more general books on the late war written from an American perspective. Let me know if these would be of interest.

Robert

Guest 1913Erfurt

Robert,

Thanks for reply. I just ordered the CD "United States Army in World War 1" from the GPO which is the 3 CD collection that includes "American Armies and Battlefields in Europe" price was $22.00.

I've also just located the publication by the American Battle Monuments Commission (U.S. Govt. print.off.,1944) entitled "80th Division, Summary of Operations in the World War" which is 77p.incl.tables,fold.maps(4 in pocket) but have yet to order this.

Now all's I need to do is start researching the 138th German Infantry, 42nd Division..any hints on starting points??

Guest Chip Minx

1913Erfurt,

According to the "Histories of Two Hundred and Fifty-One Divisions of the German Army Which Participated in the War (1914-1918)", the 42nd Division only faced the Americans for a few days in November of 1918. The division was in the line near Olizy from about October 14th until the Armistice. The American left flank moved into that area after November 3rd.

The official title of the 138th regiment was, 3.Unter-Elsässisches Inf.-Rgt.Nr.138.

Regards,

Chip

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Mr. Erfut,

Although it is not specifically about the Meuse-Argonne Battle it features a handful of astonishingly detailed chapters. The book I am currently mentioning is "The Doughboys: America and the First World War". I highly recommend it.

-Doughboy

Guest 1913Erfurt

Thanks to all for your continious replys regarding this topic. Chip, Have you heard the 138th's Regimental March, "Marsch Aus Petersburg"? I'ts a real uplifter and toe tapper !!!!!! :D

Guest Chip Minx

1913erfurt,

Can't say as I have, though it must have been a popular tune, as it was being played during WWI and is still played today. You can find it on many Nazi era music CDs.

Chip