Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

east Leeds War hospital

2li

hi

can anyone help with info regarding East Leeds war hospital

I am trying to find where I might obtain a death certificate for a soldier who died there in November 1918 and he was sent home for burial

can anyone tell me the place to search for a death certificate plus the local archive that might hold a newspaper report long shot I know

anything which may help much appriciated

PHIL

• 1 year later...

Hi Phil,

Ive just been through a similar exercise.

If he died in the est Leeds war hospital you should be able to get a death certificate from the General Register office for about £9.00. ( google GRO). I found the Leeds Local & Family History email: LocalandFamilyHistory@leeds.gov.uk really helpful and they found a newspaper clip for me ( cost £4.00)

If you find any archives material for the ELWH id appreciate seeing it - Im still trying to find out why my relative was in hospital in the first place.

Good luck

Graham

There are two records mentioning the East Leeds War Hospital in the National Archives: one is here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/707837d4-b7a1-4952-a813-cbc77f3aabea for a 1917 photograph held at the West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds.

The other is a medal card for Grace Whetherly, TFNS (Territorial Forces Nursing Service).

sJ

Findmypast have references for ordering the death certificates, and you might well find it on Ancestry as well since death occurred in the UK. After that, go direct to the official government site - I think my last order was £9.23, with the references. If you don''t have access to FMP or Ancestry, you can either go to your nearest local studies library where it is probably available at nil cost, or you can post the details of your relative here and someone will probably look up the references for you. How much you will learn from a death cert if he was wounded might not be much.

As to local newspaper archives - they would need to relate to where he and his family lived, rather than to the hospital in which he died.

Keith

Many thanks for the tips I will see what more I can find out on this subject

cheers PHIL

Good evening Phil,

If you have membership of FMP there is a section called newspapers.

Without knowing his name I inputted 1900-1940, British papers, and in other info(keywords) I put East Leeds War Hospital and it came up with them, just simply go through all the 1918 listings and see if he is there.

Cheers Roger.

Thanks Roger

For your kind help as for find my past no, do not have a sub, the chap in question is as follows

all the best

PHIL

L/Cpl, Allan Cartwright, 599994, 795th Employment Coy, LABOUR CORPS (formerly 3269, 3/4th K.S.L.I. Died East Leeds, Military hospital 20/11/1918; Age 22, born Cuddington, Shropshire, enlisted Shrewsbury; Son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas C. Cartwright, 7, Beaumont Terrace, John Street, Castlefields.

Buried (SHREWSBURY GENERAL CEMETERY) Shropshire, 30. 9. F.

Deaths in the UK are registered in the Registration District in which the death occurred.

ALLAN CARTWRIGHT (born 1895).
His death was registered in the 4th Quarter of 1918 in the Leeds registration District.
The reference you will need to order his Death Certificate is: Volume 9B, Page 711, plus the information above.
THIS is the link to the GRO website
CGM

Thanks for the link to the GRO reff I will order a death certificate

thanks again

PHIL