Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Railway wagon logo

GRANVILLE

Hopefully in the right section of the forum.

Here's a photo of ammunition being handled at Chilwell Depot, Notts. Can anyone offer any more information about the distinctive logo on the side of the wagon?

David

post-23614-0-92675700-1389939313_thumb.j

Interestingly, it's been brought to my attention that the same logo is used on the Chilwell Depot token, currently available on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360832073786?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D360832073786%26_rdc%3D1

David

Looks like a C (for Chilwell?) linked to a reverse C. A logo that would not look out of place today. Though they wouldn't have called it a logo then. A trade mark?

Cheers Martin B

Having now done a bit of reading about the Chilwell Depot I note that it was set up by Godfrey Chetwynd, 8th Viscount Chetwyn. I'm wondering if the two 'C's' are in some way part of a family crest?

David

One of the officers I researched, 2nd Lt Ian Ronald Edwards-Crate, his father was secretary to Lord Chetwynd. Sad story, he, the officers father that is, had a breakdown and was last heard of living in a pauper hostel in London.

Andrew, Very amusing! But then again...maybe you are right. The smell of cordite would have taken some overcoming when the girls finally got an evening off from the factory??!

In the other photo that you posted, it looks like the "logo" is part of the name of the factory rather that a railway company name.

N.S.F.F F.6 "logo" = National Shell Filling Factory Factory #6

or maybe it's a symbol for the type of shell - both photos look to contain the same shells

It is correct that Chilwell Depot was National Shell Filling Factory No.6 and was set up at the behest of the government along with the other NSFF's around the country. The difference with Chilwell was that Godfrey Chetwynd, 8th Viscount Chetwynd was personally invited to created the facility from scratch having first found a suitable site for the purpose (Chilwell). It appears he oversaw every aspect and was it's managing director, so with such a close association between the site and Chetwyn, it seems highly likely that the wagons were personalised to the site by means of the logo.

• 3 months later...