The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

yeadon

Can anyone help? Seeking war diary information for the 1st Wiltshires for the period 16th August 1916 to 4th September 1916; in particular for the death in action of 2Lt Hubert Lionel H Du Boulay.

• Admin

Cross of Sacrifice has his date of death as 3/9/16. The War Diary mentions 5 officer casualties that day but none are named.

Michelle

Cross of Sacrifice has his date of death as 3/9/16. The War Diary mentions 5 officer casualties that day but none are named.

Michelle

6, the CO plus 5.

Deaths on 3 Sep 16 were:

Pte Ashton

2Lt Barton

Lt Brooke

Pte Cocknell

Pte Cooper

ASgt Cousins

Pte Deverill

Pte Evans

LCpl Franklin

Pte Franklin

ACpl Hams

Pte Hulbert

Cpl James

Pte Lane

Pte Sainsbury

Pte Smith

Pte Snook

Pte Townsend

LCpl Turner

• Admin

Whoops, I read the CO was hit but didn't equate that he was killed. My husband plays cricket with a lad called Du Boulay, I assume a relation as his middle name is also Houssemayne

Michelle

Yes, I would think so Michelle. Cricket seems to have been his sport and he was mentioned in Wisden thus: "For a boy of his age he is a batsman far above the ordinary, and it is not too much to say that with average luck he might develop into a great cricketer. He was also captain of the fifteen and fives champion"

I am very surprised he isn't mentioned in the list of casualties I have for the 1st Bn.

The CO on 3 Sep was Capt (later Lt Col) S Ogilvie.

Du Boulay was a 3rd Bn man attached to the 1st. But it seems a little harsh not to list him as on of the 1st Bn casualties.

Whoops, I read the CO was hit but didn't equate that he was killed. My husband plays cricket with a lad called Du Boulay, I assume a relation as his middle name is also Houssemayne

Michelle

This is interesting Michelle; for such an extensive and "Burke's Peerage" family it has been incredibly difficult trying to obtain a photo of him. Could your husband's cricket contact help at all? Thanks for your responses to my posting.

• Admin

Have you tried Cheltenham College? Their archivist might be able to help with photos.

Michelle

• Admin

The cricket score sheet links Dave posted show him playing for Cheltenham College

Michelle

If I may add to this, the only info I have on 2Lt du Boulay is as below :

35 2Lt du Boulay H L H

12-8-16 Posted to 1 Wilts

16-8-16 Embarked Southampton

17-8-16 Arrived 3 Infantry Base Depot, Rouen

23-8-16 Left for front

26-8-16 Joined Battalion in the field

3-9-16 Report of death cancelled on 10.10.1916. Officer reported missing

3-9-16 Killed in action (reported on 4.9.1916)

23-10-18 Record ends with entry: Killed in action and reported buried on 3.9.1916

Capt. Ogilvie was "hit by a bullet in the leg".

Cheers

Stephen

Thanks everyone for all your help and information regarding the 1st Wilts and Hubert in this particularly short period of time he served. I have actually now got quite a lot to work on, including photos, so thankyou all again. Stilllearning

post-80685-0-39476000-1391114427_thumb.j

The attached is a report of du Boulay's death from the Cheltenham Chronicle. I had cause to contact Cheltenham College and the archivist is very helpful - will PM you the contact details.