Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Great grand Uncle

silverwolf

My great grand uncle Edward edmunds served with the 1BN essex Reg in the great war, from records have found he died 15/10/1918 service no 326184, there is nothing to say where he died, just wondering if anybody can shed anymore light or information,or pictures, my late grandfather had a picture or a or group of soldiers which is a bit tattered wondering if this could be his uncle in it.

Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) shows that Edward was first No. 15116 Suffolk Regiment, during which service he was awarded the Military Medal. His Medal Index Card (MIC) shows that he arrived in the Western Europe (France, Flanders) Theatre of War on 31 August 1915. Given that date, Chris Baker's Long, Long Trail site, shows that he may have served in the 9th (Service) Battalion. He later became No. 326184 in the 11th Battalion, Essex Regt. SDGW further shows that he died of wounds at home in Middleton, Suffolk, 15 October, 1918. He was born at Benham, Suffolk, and enlisted at Saxmundham, Suffolk.

Chris

If you look on The National Archives website you may find a War Diary for 11 Essex. Cost £3.36. It is unlikely he will be mentioned by name. If you look back,say, 6 mnths from his death you might be able to narrow it down as to where he may have injured.

Hello and welcome Silverwolf

CWGC info confirms details given by Chris

EDMUNDS, EDWARD. Rank: Private. Service No: 326184. Date of Death: 15/10/1918. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Essex Regiment. 1st Bn. Awards: M M.
Grave Reference: Cemetery: EAST BRIDGE PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPELYARD
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Eliza E. Edmunds, of 12, Holly Cottages, East Bridge, Theberton.
so hopefully not too far for you to visit.
It's doubtful that the War Diary may mention him by Name, but worth knowing whereabouts they were.
Unless his Service Records survived the massive fire after Luftwaffe bombing of the archives in Round Two, a best guess would be wounding during the great German offensive in late March 1918, as he'd have to be evacuated back through the casualty chain to England.

11Essex War Diary is under WO95/1616/1 in the Discovery database at the National Archives and downloadable.

You could also enquire at Theberton Parish Council or the nearest library to see if they have further info, newspaper archives etc. http://thebertonandeastbridge.onesuffolk.net/

Theberton has a VC amongst its Roll of Honour, so no doubt some research will have been done for others..

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Suffolk/Theberton.html

Strangely, I can't find a Death Registration for him, perhaps he died in Scotland and brought home for burial?

It would appear he was born 1898 or '99 but not easy to find him!

There are Pals who can divine the innards of the London Gazette search "process" who may add something regarding the Military Medal award.

Is there any further knowledge in the family, photos, memoirs, medals, newspaper cuttings etc?

Thank you all for your help, Is scotland where they brought the casulties back too? Yes he was born 1898 in benhall, we have an old photo of a group of soldiers, which my mum found in my late grandads belongings, but it is quite tatty, which I will try to get and scan it, there was only him and his brother left last year and neither of them talked about it, but his brother is losing his memory unfortunately, but mum is going to try and talk to him about it but doesn't hold much hope on that route. I have been doing the the family tree for the last 15 years and been strugling with the members of the family who did military service before the great war, going by census records , coming from a farm labourer background alot of them could not read or write.

Could be right about died in scotland, as done a quick search on scotlandspeople and found a person with the same details, will have to wait till weekend till I can afford the credits to see the full details.

Casualties were brought back and placed in hospitals wherever they could find space, usually ones that could deal with specific types of wounds, but principally wherever they could provide adequate medical care. My g grandfather in law was treated in Scotland for his wounds in WW1 and fell in love with his nurse there....

Those that died in the UK were usually registered close to the hospital or area where they died.

I couldn't find any such registration in England or Wales records, ergo I wondered if it might have occurred in Scotland to explain not finding it recorded in England or Wales.

Strangely, I can't find a Death Registration for him, perhaps he died in Scotland and brought home for burial?

Post #2 says he died of wounds at HOME.

He did die in Scotland. He died in the parish of Ecclesmachan, W. Lothian. The record is very difficult to read. It seems to have been in a hospital I can't make out. I can't make out the cause of death either at the moment. The latest JAVA update has incapacitated the Scotlandspeople viewer on mylaptop! I'll see what I can manage when it sorts itself out!

Roger.

If I scan the photo, can I post it on here?, if I am lucky, one of you might be able to Identify it.

Looking through the royal british legion war memorial pages, I have found a few other relatives of mine, one of them is on the arras memorial, where is that?

Post #2 reads that he died at home in Middleton, Suffolk.

Post #2 quotes SDGW.

Soldiers Died in the Great War
First name(s): Edward EDMUNDS
Initials: E
Birthplace: Benham, Suffolk
Residence: Middleton, Suffolk
Enlisted: Saxmundham, Suffolk
Regiment, Corps etc.: Essex Regiment
Battalion etc.: 11th Battalion.
Number: 326184
Date died: 15 October 1918
How died: Died of wounds
Theatre of war: Home
Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 15116, SUFFOLK REGT., M.M.
Home is the Theatre of War (as in the Home Front - the UK) not his place of residence.

BMD Deaths Scotland 1918 666 p 17 entry 51. Ecclesmachan, Linlithgow[shire]

Edward Edmunds; Private 326184; 11th Essex; Single: Died 6[?]h 30m a.m. 15 October 1918; Edinburgh ???? Hospital, ?????; U[sual] R[esidence] 12 Holly Cottages Leiston[?]:aged 20 years; parents William Edmunds (carpenter) and Eliza Edmunds (ms Blocking[?])

I'm struggling with the cause of death, but it might start with "Gas poisoning and ???? burnt, 1 month...." (meaning since one month ago).

Roger

Post #2 quotes SDGW.

Home is the Theatre of War (as in the Home Front - the UK) not his place of residence.
The poster must have misread the entry.

Hospitals beginning Edinburgh

Castle Hospital

Military Hospital

Craiglockhart Hosp

others

Central Hospital in Edinburgh

Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh.

"Gas poisoning and ???? burnt,

???? could br mouth?

Post #2 quotes SDGW.

The poster must have misread the entry.

Actually, I didn't misread it. Underneath the date of death on the SDGW entry for Edmunds on Ancestry.com, it states "Death Location: Home" Further down it states "Theatre of War: Home"

Chris

. SDGW further shows that he died of wounds at home in Middleton, Suffolk, 15 October, 1918. He was born at Benham, Suffolk, and enlisted at Saxmundham, Suffolk.

Chris

I think the word 'in' is the giveaway!!!!

I think the word 'in' is the giveaway!!!!

The SDGW entry I found apparently has an additional line of data not found on the entry offered by CGM, and since the "Theatre of War: Home" is noted on a separate line, the notation "Death Location: Home" can only have one meaning, his residence, and since his residence was in Middleton, logic dictates that the entry is stating that he died in that town.

Speaking of giveaways, I regret I missed the exclamation mark salesman who was apparently passing out free samples in your neighborhood today. :huh:

Chris

Gentlemen, please - His death registration was in Scotland, if it was in Suffolk, it would have been recorded there.

There has been much confusion in the past over the use of the term "Home" and it has been generally understood to refer to the UK, not Overseas.

The death registration is used to determine more precisely where in the UK that was.

Ancestry records those in England and Wales, but on not finding one, the assumption of Scotland ultimately was confirmed.

There has been such a lot of help given by you on this thread, let's not sour it, please.