The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

10th BN Royal Fusiliers. Former R.W Surrey

beestonboxer

I am just trying to put some information together for a friend regarding the service of his Grandfather, with the information I have gathered I was wondering if I am going down the right track any help I would be grateful for.

Emery Austin Topping 10th Bn Royal Fusiliers GS/65678 , Died 7th August 1917, formerly R.W Surrey Regiment 12867. Enlisted Cambridge.

MIC shows entitlement to BWM VM no entry of theatre of war first served in or date.

I am unable to find any service record.

My thoughts are that he didn't go over initially with the 10th R.F as the date landed at Boulogne was 30th July 1915 ( no star awarded )

Possibly he was serving in the R.W Surreys in a home BN and was later transferred to the 10th R.F ?

Date of death 7th August 1917 the 10th were at the battle of Pilkim Ridge early August 1917 , entry of DOW possibly a casualty from Pilkem Ridge ?

Maybe someone with knowledge of service numbers could help .

Thanks for taking a look

Can't fault your comments !

Emery is buried at Wimereaux (a few kms N of Boulogne) and where some of the Hospitals were sited so it would fit with a wounded soldier being casevac'd (by night ambulance train probably) for treatment.

Pilckem Ridge was 31 Jul to 2 Aug 1917,so likely wounded there,possibly before in the build-up as there was considerable artillery activity for some while prior to kick off of 3rd Ypres.