Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres 10- 13 November

ArmyOfficer

Looks like I will finally get to be in the Salient on Armistice Day. Does anyone know what's planned for that day in Ieper?

How crowded does it usually get, anyway?

Hello,

My advice to you would be to get into the town centre early. If you are going into the town by car, get in before 0900. There are parking spaces but they are quite few in number. Get as close to the monument as you can. As you will probably be standing up for quite some time, you may find taking a shooting stick or a collapsable chair may prove useful. Obviously bring a warm coat and scarf. It has been quite cold for the past three years on November 11th. Bring your camera or camcorder. I dont want to spoil it for you, but you will know when to use them! I may see you there as I am marching with the Kent Fire and Rescue Service, but if I dont, enjoy, and Lest We Forget.

If you are wishing to lay a wreath join the Poppy Parade which assembles outside st martins cathedral by about 0930. The British Legion marshalls will put you right

All The Best

Chris

chris I am thinking you might want to edit that Poopy parade text?

L.

chris I am thinking you might want to edit that Poopy parade text?

Sorry about that folks my comcen supervisor would have given me a good slap for that

All The Best

Chris

:)

Hi Folks,

I shall be staying at the Shell Hole with Paul K from the forum and a couple of other friends from the 9th till 12th Nov. Be nice to find a few forumites staying local and perhaps meet for a few beers or a meal one evening.

Regards

Iain

Besides following the advise of strongbox I recommend meeting up with Iain McHenery at some point. He always seems to know what's going on in the Salient and is a nice chap! :D

Wish I could be there!

Jon

a small sugestion. As Ypres will be full again, go to Passchendaele. There will be a special ceremony too... Smaller, but not less important.

Offcourse Ypres is "mega"...

O,

and at 17 hour there is a special ceremony at the Roeselare cemetery.

Jon, Thanks for the comments mate :rolleyes: !!!! (Glad you received the $300 bribe B) ) Shame you cant make it this year. Can you believe that it is three years since we last went to the 11th Nov parade together! You have to get back across this side of the pond mate!

Best regards

Iain

a small sugestion. As Ypres will be full again, go to Passchendaele. There will be a special ceremony too... Smaller, but not less important.

Offcourse Ypres is "mega"...

Any Details of the Passchendaele ceremony please

All The Best

Chris

Scedual : 11th november Passchendaele:

10.15: Special service mass in the church of Passendale

10.50: Act of remembrance for the fallen Canadians of the battle for Passchendaele. Parade from the market to Crest farm. Opening of a new info board at Crest Farm. And last post Ceremony.

From 10.00 to 19.00:

>> WW1 Bookfair at Hotel: Carolus (Passendale) Free enterance!

>> Exhibition: Civilan victims of Passchendaele in WW1, at the public school; Free enterance

There are also guided walks in the afternoon, but with Flemish guides (dutch)

Guest private Tom

hello guys,

Just to let you know that two new museums opened this year.

The first is in a village called Wytschate towards Kemmel,famous for it's petis bois and grand bois craters.The museum is found in Croonaert wood not far from "hollandse schuur",an old german strongpoint.It's an open air museum with trenches and bunkers.

The second is the "Zonnebeke streekmuseum" with a great exposition of the battle of passendaele.

If you got further questions,please contact me for I know the aeria very well.(every three weeks you can find me over there,walking the muddy fields :P ).

So enjoy your stay in flanders and maybe we meet on the eleventh!!!!

Tom