Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 Absent Voters list

bobpike

Does anyone, please know where I can access the 1918 Absent Voters list for Thaxted, Essex? I am looking for a soldier's unit/service number there.

Thank you.

LINK to the SEAX 1918 Electoral Register Index page. (Includes Thaxted).

If you scroll down you will find this:

The form of this register was set by the Representation of the People Act, 1918 (7 & 8 Geo. 5, c.64). The Act required absent voters to be recorded in a separate absent voters list, as well as in the main register, but no absent voters list survives.

However, as it says as well as in the main register hopefully you will be successful there.

I don't know if these links will time out.....

CGM

Thank you so very much for your information. I have tried them all but no sign of my man or of an AVL.

GEORGE WILLIAM TURNER born 3.3 1886 Thaxted. Believed to be a stretcher-bearer with the Essex Regt.

I have put a post elsewhere on the Forum, but I thought the AVL my best bet, now where...?

Gratefully,

Bob

CGM is quite right about The Representation of the People Act 1918 and AVLs being printed separately from the main register, but it seems that this was not necessarily adhered to. The Coventry electoral register has naval and military voters (N or M) in the main register, but no unit details. It might be worth checking the main registers just in case.

The full text of the act can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/num3wbj

TR

Thank you again, but I've had no luck finding him anywhere. Even Essex Regimental Museum have found nothing,

frustratingly yours,

Bob

1911 census has him at Bolford Street Thaxted, a Confectionary Sugar Boiler aged 25 with wife, Lily and son, 11 month-old, Clifford William, then the trail goes cold - any suggestions, please?

TURNER, GEORGE WILLIAM Rank: Corporal Service No: 339019 Date of Death: 24/04/1917 Age: 30 Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps 98th Field Amb. Grave Reference I. A. 24. Cemetery BUCQUOY ROAD CEMETERY, FICHEUX Additional Information:

Son of George Turner, of 27, Royal St., Kirkdale, Liverpool.

Age would fit. Father living in Liverpool.

Absent voters on the Bradford 1918 registers are listed in Division2 of each polling district's register, with the NM endorsement.

Keith

EDIT

I have just followed CGM's link and found at p557 a prescription for the form of register, but I couldn't see a requirement that it be published separately, other than within Division II ,

Division II. contains the names of those persons who are entitled to vote as parliamentary electors but not as local govern- ment electors. 

have I missed another section somewhere?

Keith

Thank you both. Johnboy, I should have made it clearer, my George Turner survived the war - sorry,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Have you looked in Thaxted church to see if there's an honour roll detailing those from the village that served (as opposed to those who died)? Certainly some parish churches have such a roll - those that I've seen are normally in the form of an illuminated scroll. A long shot, but you might be lucky!

All the best

Steve

Edit - I should have said - those that I've seen all have the unit the person served with; some of which have turned out to be the unit first served with (i.e. before going over seas).

Steve,

A great idea in normal circumstances, but until quite recently they didn't even have a war memorial, because the left-wing incumbent Conrad Noel, the 'Red Vicar,' would not allow it!

Bob