The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Craigie Dunbar Jr., Born 1890, Leith, Scotland?

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if this man served or not and if so, whether a MIC exists for him? I have been trying to find him via Ancestry and have been having a tough time of it. He is the son of Craigie Dunbar and Margaret (probably nee Steel) from Leith. Craigie Jr. had a brother Joseph Steel Dunbar, b. 1888 but I know he did not serve, as he came to America before the war and while he did register for the draft he was never called up. At present I do not have a precise DOB for Craigie Jr. (I found him via the Census) but I am working on that as we speak.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Daniel

Cannot see any military records for him, he appears on the Scotland census, same parents and brother, born 1890 So Leith. Ralph.

I see what could be either the father or son in the 1928-1929 Post office directory as living at 11 Kirk Street, Leith:

http://www.mocavo.com/Post-Office-Annual-Directory-1928-29-Volume-1928-29/647143/188

I also checked the Canadian database in the event he may have joined up over there but no records found. No hits at Ellis Island or Castle Garden databases...or Familysearch. Or Google!

-Daniel

Hello Daniel,

scotlandspeople has births for 4 x Craigie Dunbar.

1890, 1918, 1934 and 1934 - 3 are born Leith, one born Canongate(Edinburgh).

The one born in 1890 is the person you are looking for, GROS: 1890 births 692/02 0327

Craigie Dunbar, born ? March 1890 at 58 Duke Street, Leith. Cannot read the date, however birth was registered 14 March 1890.

Father: Craigie Dunbar, Cab Driver(?).

Mother: Margaret Dunbar ms Steele. Date of Marriage; 1888, June 20th at South Leith

Mags

A Craigie Dunbar aged 74 died in 1964 in Edinburgh Morningside. (scotlandspeople)

Have you checked the various ships' passenger lists available through ancestry? If he landed in Canada, he wouldn't go through Ellis Island.

Roger.

Ed. It might be worth looking for him in the 1911 Scotland census to see what he did for a living.

A Craigie Dunbar was married in Leith in 1917 accordng to the search engine on Scotlandspeople.co.uk. Don't know this particular man's age or who he married. Might be worth looking at the marriage cert to see if he is of the right age and what his occupation was. These certificates sometimes give military details too if the man was called up.

Regards

LIT

A Craigie Dunbar aged 74 died in 1964 in Edinburgh Morningside. (scotlandspeople)

Have you checked the various ships' passenger lists available through ancestry? If he landed in Canada, he wouldn't go through Ellis Island.

Roger.

Ed. It might be worth looking for him in the 1911 Scotland census to see what he did for a living.

Hi Roger,

I thought I would start with the Port of New York since his brother came through here before the war, but no luck. I will be running him through Ancestry again this evening and see if I can find any immigration records, but it sounds like perhaps you have found him in Scotland until his death.

I also checked CWGC and while I did not find Craigie I did find two other Dunbars with a Leith connection, but I cannot see how they may be connected to me, at least at the moment:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/334316/DUNBAR,%20JOHN

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2096575/DUNBAR,%20WILLIAM

-Daniel

Hello again Daniel,

GROS: 1917 Marriages 692/02 0121

Craigie Dunbar married Elizabeth Curran on 13 April 1917 at The Manse, South Leith. Parents are Craigie Dunbar, Labourer,(deceased) and Margaret Steel.

Craigie is a bachelor, age 27, living at 49 Balfour Street, Leith. The writing is difficult to read and unable to print out at the moment so unable to decipher occupation.

Mags

Have just read other replies. Although I cannot decipher occupation on MC, looks like ????moulder or builder, it definitely has no military information.

Mags

Have just read other replies. Although I cannot decipher occupation on MC, looks like ????moulder or builder, it definitely has no military information.

Mags

Could it be Ironmoulder or something like that I wonder?

Roger.

Well done, I hadn't thought of that one. I'm fairly sure that an Ironmoulder would be exempt from call up. I can't remember if that was true of other metal trades.

Living in Leith, I wonder if he was working in a shipyard.

Roger.

Wow, thanks, all! If he were in an exempt profession I would completely understand the absence of a service record. I'll keep plumbing the electronic depths on this fellow and see what else I can turn up on him. I also suspect (though it's only a hunch) that the two other Dunbar fellows I referenced earlier are relations but I need to work backwards to see if I can make the connections or not...time will tell!

As an aside, while Joseph Steel Dunbar did not serve, his son (Joseph Steel Dunbar Jr.) did serve, albeit during WWII with the R.C.A.F and then U.S.A.A.F.

-Daniel