Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal storage/display

DCLI

My collection of medals is growing and I want to store them.

I want easy access - drawers? And some degree of security.

I have seen some tall slim metal filing-type cabinets with lots of of very small drawers but I don't know the name of them.

I have looked at the Lindner trays but they seem very expensive. £24.50 for one box (does this include the three drawers?

Can anyone offer some ideas?

Thanks

Anthony

Anthony,

You might try looking on eBay for Machinist Tool Boxes. Some of the older wood ones make great storage for medals. They are usually felt lined and have many thin small drawers etc. They can be a little pricey however. But if you handy at refinishing wood you can pick one up a little cheaper. For example, look at Item number: 6121229559.

Hope that helps,

Robert

Robert

Thanks for that. The item you mentioned is superb but it is currently at £240 with postage from the USA on top and more than a day to go.

I may have the answer though.

http://www.directofficesupply.uk.com/pp/Fi...%20drawers.html

Best regards

Anthony

I have Halfords own garage tool cabinets. OK, they're red so they stand out a bit but they are stackable, lockable and damn heavy to run off with!

You might try looking on eBay for Machinist Tool Boxes.  Some of the older wood ones make great storage for medals.  They are usually felt lined and have many thin small drawers etc.  They can be a little pricey however.  But if you handy at refinishing wood you can pick one up a little cheaper.  For example, look at Item number: 6121229559.

Hope that helps,

Robert

that tool chest would be ideal for a lot of displays

i dread to think of the shipping

my medal and badge collection is just about under control but there have been rumblings from the FPO ;)

Halford's tool boxes - what a great idea. Especially as they are lockable - little prying fingers and all that. And as you say, not so easy to run off with. I am sure I have seen some blue ones too.

Regards

Anthony

Here is how I have both my grandfathers's mounted.

post-23-1096955959.jpg

For a display of special/personal medals I think that is great. I have something similar for my relatives, although using only miniatures as the originals are in someone else's storage cabinet - see attached. Mine is a bit amateurish though - yours looks nice and professional. Ho hum.

I am looking more for storage of medals I have collected.

I have just ordered a multidrawer filing thingy 10 drawers about 1.5 ins deep, sits on the desk- I not cheap but perfect. I will post a pic when it arrives.

Regards

Anthony

post-23-1096984599.jpg

;) Heres one I did earlier!

Very nice indeed, cocky pants. Did your wife do it or you?

;) Hi

yes it is an oakleaf on a Tibet medal, first one I have seen.

DCLI : no one has called me that for a long t=ime- thanks!!

And yes my wife was involved in the display, she is the artistic one!

Tony

The bloke who did mine has the following website. The one I have posted is actually from his site. If you are in Australia I highly recommend him for this sort of thing.

http://www.ausmedals.com.au/

Rgds

TD

Hi

re Oakleaf on Tibet medal, the guy wanted it the way his relative wore it, i.e. on the Tibet medal. I thought that he probably wore it instead of a clasp as his miniature has the clasp.

TK

It's a lovely group - even without the anachronistic MID emblem.

The medal roll would settle the question immediately, but you have to go to a h*ll of a lot of trouble to dismantle a medal and take off the bar, simply in order to replace it with an MID emblem.

As to miniatures ... Well they're not official issue, but purchased items. The tailor up his street had a limited stock of minatures - just one Tibet medal, in fact. With the inconvenient bar. "Put it up anyway - no one will notice." An no one did.

Bootiful medals

William

I want easy access - drawers? And some degree of security.

I have seen some tall slim metal filing-type cabinets with lots of of very small drawers but I don't know the name of them.

I have looked at the Lindner trays but they seem very expensive. £24.50 for one box (does this include the three drawers?

Thanks

Anthony

I have just seen some units with small trays which may well be ideal at the local Partners Stationers,

i think they were £25 for a 5 tray unit or £35 for a ten tray

i can't find an on line shop but this site gives a list of shop locations

Partners

Have you tried Malcolm Gordon of "Gordons Medals" London. He does very reasonable mahogany and Alumium display cases of various sizes for displaying medals.

Thank you everyone. I sorted it out - see other topic, re storgae. I of course, paid too much for what I got, by going direct - so I would now like to close this topic and go into a dark room and cry myself to sleep.

regards to all.