Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home service-would the person be enlisted into any Corps

KatharineMH

My Great Grandfather lived in Ribchester, Lancashire and was directed to work on a Farm in South Wales for some or part of War. His family went with him for the duration.

Family lore has it that he went to enlist in Lancaster, the conscripts were asked whether any could drive a tractor, my Great Grandfather having been brought up on a Farm all his life, put his hand up and thence ended up in South Wales.

Can anyone shed any light on this at all? Was he likely to have been in any sort of Service regiment? If so, are there any records?

(In 1918, he joined RAMC and served in Russia)

Any help at all would be much appreciated as I have so little to go on.

Thank you,

Katharine

• Admin

Katherine

He was probably in an Agricultural Company as part of the Labour Corps. There is a book about the LC called "No Labour, No Battle" by John Starling and Ivor Lee. It gives a good hsitory of the Corps and details where the Companies were based. You ought to be able to get it via an inter-library loan.

Tracing men who served at home is very difficult if his service record doesn't survive but have a look at this book or post more information on your great grandfather and we'll see what we can come up with.

Glen

Hello Glen,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply about my great Grandfather.

His name was Herbert Forrest Smithies b. 1885 in Ribchester, Lancashire. His Service records do not survive. He was in RAMC serving in Russia 1918/1919 Service no 85370. I have nothing more to go on other than that I'm afraid.

Katharine

Katherine

I can warmly endorse Glen's suggestion of ' No Labour, no battle' which shines a light on this unlikely aspect of the War. I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. Richard Holmes writes the foreword in his normal perceptive and thoughtful style. Good luck in finding your Grandfather's details and welcome to the Forum

David

Hello David,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my request. I am trying to obtain a copy of the book 'No Labour, no battle'; seems to be out of print. However I have registered the title with Abebooks, in the hope a copy may come their way. I will also see if my local library can get me a copy on loan.

Katharine