The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Need help with Photograph/Postcard

Darryn Fisher

Hi all, I have come into possession of 2 identical postcards and am trying to find any information I can about it and who/why the soldiers are in it.

From what I know/can tell:

- It appear to be post-war due to the number of soldiers wearing medal ribbons (Front-Row First-left wearing Overseas Service chevrons).

- The majority of soldiers are wearing what I think are Military Police Cap badges and appear to be all wearing whistles (Correct me if I'm wrong!).

- Both Postcards are Stamped 'C. Donnelly Swift, The Square, Kildare' and I am told this was probably taken in Curragh Camp, County Kildare.

I wish to know if anyone can tell me anything more about this photo, I have a Great-grandparent who ended the war as a Provost Cpl and wondering if there is a connection? There may also be a connection to another more distant relative however would need dates and location to be confirmed.

Any help is greatly appreciated

PS: Slightly higher quality copy can be seen on my profile Gallery

Kind regards,

Darryn

post-105447-0-78207900-1389564819_thumb.

This photograph must have been taken after the end of the Great War due to the fact that many of the men in this group are wearing WW1 medal ribbons. The cap badges being worn, with the exception of the Officer and a couple of others, could be the Military Foot Police or Middlesex Regiment. I would, however, like to see a close up scan to be certain.

Sepoy

PS: Slightly higher quality copy can be seen on my profile Gallery

Darryn

Darryn,

Enlarging the photo on your profile, I counted 5 different types of cap badges including the Officer and the Scottish ( assumed ) soldier.

Also, the sign by the door on the left appears to say ' Military Police Office '.

Regards,

LF

Thanks guys, I am now thinking that the majority are Military Foot Police and the others are possibly Regimental Police or maybe MP's that just haven't re-badged yet and that this is a course photograph/Postcard.

Sepoy, This is as large as I can make it as it's original was less that 4" x 6", the only option is to copy it then it can be enlarged in screen however quality doesn't improve, just size

Kind Regards,

Darryn

There's a few breeches being worn as well - perhaps a smattering of MMP in there too?

And there wouldn't have being re-badging until 1926, when the two corps amalgamated to form the CMP.

Cheers,

GT.

have you tried a high resolution scan or re photograph with digi. camera on max res.?

This was the maximum I could get from such a small postcard, the image was scanned at a bit over 300dpi. Will try photographing with 36.3Mp Camera however to see if results improve.

There's a few breeches being worn as well - perhaps a smattering of MMP in there too?

And there wouldn't have being re-badging until 1926, when the two corps amalgamated to form the CMP.

Cheers,

GT.

Yes I noticed the various uniforms which made me think it was some sort of course or even that they had kept their parent units dress before they moved to the RMP's. I didn't mean re-badging of the corp but more of the soldiers transferring into the MP's from other units especially as the war ended and so many Battalions were disbanded. I'm sure the photo was in and around 1919-22 due to Curragh camp being handed over to the Irish Free State Army in 1922 so was long before the amalgamation of MMP/MFP.

Kind Regards,

Darryn