The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

L/Cpl. 9734 Isaac CONWAY

GrahamC

Hi pals - hoping you will indulge me here ...

Tomorrow is the birthday of my grandfather Pt. Ernest John Conway [see signature below] who was an 'Old Contemptible' and the inspiration behind my interest in all matters to do with researching the Great War.

It was with some amazement, however, that I have just today discovered that his FATHER, Isaac, lied about his age - 50 years old - and enlisted in the Royal Engineers on 30 April 1915. He had suffered from emphysema since 1911 and was ultimately medically discharged in June 1916, after a period of general duties and serving with the Military Police. At the time of his enlistment he had a wife and seven children under the age of 14 and a good job as a riveter on the Midland Railway, but obviously wanted to do 'his bit'.

I'm sure there are many such similar stories, but this has come as a complete surprise. Although I didn't know my grandfather, I did know Isaac, my great-grandfather, and growing up I remember he and his wife Kate were quite local characters, both living into their 90s. [The photo below is Isaac aged 86 - so clearly the lung problems got better!]

As I said, thanks for indulging me - just wanted to share this with my Forum pals.

Thanks

Graham

post-37838-0-41263500-1389550221_thumb.j