Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paintings on the theme of the Great War by Ron Olley

David Ridgus

Today The Times previewed an art exhibition at Lavenham Hall gallery in Lavenham by the nonagenarian artist Ron Olley. The exhibition is a series of paintings he has created of scenes from the war. Those that are shown in the article are very striking.

His father was, the article says, a regular in the Gloucesters who 'got four medals, two won at Ypres.' He then died shortly after the war of an untreated stomach ulcer for which he had refused treatment because the cost would have impoverished his family. Ron Olley himself fought through the Second World War and says that his images of the Great War come from photographs filtered 'through his own wartime experiences so that he can show the reality more truly.'

The interview ends with his comment that 'There has always been war and there always will be and I have no message. I don't want to preach...I just want to say what it's like. I want to show the reality.'

In a very quiet way, he seems quite a remarkable man and artist to undertake such a task at his time of life.

David