The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unteroffizier Gottfried Regensteiner, Bayr. 4. Feldart Regt.

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I have identified another relative of mine who served in the Great War: Gottfried Regensteiner, born 25 November 1891 in Augsburgh. Since he fought with the Bavarians, happily, his records are on Ancestry! I could use a spot of help understanding some of the abbreviations in his service records, if possible. For starters, I recognize the second entry in the snippet below (Prussian EKII), but was is the first award they refer to?

post-32240-0-22350200-1389396309_thumb.j

I'll add more details and information, and probably more questions, as I dig into this exciting new discovery.

-Daniel

That's the Military Merit Cross with swords. It was a bravery award. I believe the swords were to indicate it was awarded during wartime. It was also issued with a crown.

Thanks! Would that be an equivalent to the Military Medal? If not, what would it be comparable to for British or American forces?

-Daniel

Thanks! Would that be an equivalent to the Military Medal? If not, what would it be comparable to for British or American forces?

-Daniel

It's comparable to the Iron Cross 2nd Class but for Bavarian privates and NCOs.

It's comparable to the Iron Cross 2nd Class but for Bavarian privates and NCOs.

Hm, that's interesting. I wonder why he got the Bavarian and Prussian equivalents of the same award? I need to try and find him in the Verlustlisten. He's not in the database yet, but I'll keep an eye out for him when I do my monthly sweeps.

-Daniel

Hm, that's interesting. I wonder why he got the Bavarian and Prussian equivalents of the same award? I need to try and find him in the Verlustlisten. He's not in the database yet, but I'll keep an eye out for him when I do my monthly sweeps.

-Daniel

That's quite normal. Once you got the Bavarian medal, you usually got the IC2 a bit later.

Although these medals started as rewards for bravery, they were quite common later in the war and could be awarded for just being in the field and having done your duty.

Given how late he got his, I suspect he got them for the reasons you mention. We'll see if he turns up in the VLs or not, as that may give a clue.

I was able to get the rest of his service record off Ancesty a little while ago and will dig into that.

-Daniel