Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card

grahamh

My Grandfather James Shufflebotham was a driver in the Royal Field Artillery. Sadly I never met him as he died in 1938 before I was born. I have attached a photo of his medal card. I shall be grateful if someone could tell me what this means and what the 119B stands for. I have a photo of him in uniform and he has spurs on. The card shows that he was awarded the British Medal and Victory Medal. Does this mean that he was in France/Belgium from 1914? His service record does not appear to have survived but is there any way to identify what battery he was in. I still have his cap badge but I don't know what happened to his medals.

Thanks

Graham

post-105419-0-84859700-1389383162_thumb.

HI Graham

As he was only entitled to the pair, he did not enter the theatre of war until after 1915.

The roll refers to the medal roll the medal are written in see- http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/campaignmedals.html

TF stands for Territorial Force.

So if you look up medal roll RFA/119B on page 3867 you will see his details as in the example shown.

Unfortunately RA rolls may not be as detailed.

regards

Robert

Thanks very much Robert. I know a little more now. Sadly, I doubt I will be able to visit the National Archives to view the records but maybe one day!

Best wishes

graham

Hi Graham

There are researchers who go to NA, and for a fee can do that for you. If you make a request here, they may reply to you.

They will need this reference-

Reference:

WO 329/48

Description:

Royal Field Artillery other ranks: medal rolls RFA/119B; RFA/120B. Pages 3618-3917. British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Date:

1914-1920

Held by:

The National Archives, Kew

Former references:

in its original department: A47

Legal status:

Public Record

regards

Robert

Graham

I shall look for you when I go to Kew next,probably some time in Feb. As Robert says there is little likelihood of a unit being on the original Medal Roll but I will photo it for you anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Graham

I have the Medal Roll for this soldier,on receipt of your e-mail I will send it on.