Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial plaque missing in post

bedfordyeoman

Would members kindly look out for a memorial plaque to Andrew Wood ? It was sent from USA to me in the UK on 7th December and the USPS tracking system's last entry shows that the item left Chicago on 11th December. It has yet to arrive and I fear the worst.

The plaque is identifiable other than by the name as it has a wide 'H' and was manufactured at Acton with number 14 behind the lion's paw.

Reward offered for any sighting/information leading to the plaque's return to me.

Thanks and best wishes

David

Hi David,

It could be sat in Customs at Heathrow. I do know that they can be incredibly slow on occasions, so it may be worth your while to contact them.

Good luck.

Robert

Or it's in a van stuck in a snowdrift - understand the New World has been having a little trouble with the weather recently...

Will keep an eye out. I feel for you, I have only had one item of value (a rare heroism in the saving the life of an animal medal) lost several years ago, they know the package was opened in a Liverpool sorting office. I hope the plaque turns up.

Keep hoping. I had a post card go missing having purchased it in eBay. Never turned up and I gave up hope. Six to eight weeks later it arrived out of the blue. Postal stamps confirmed sender had posted at time of order.

TT

I had a book sent 1st December arrived 2 days ago!

Going the other way it has just taken 14 days for one parcel from Durham to reach fort Gordon in Georgia, a second one posted at exactly the same time hasn't arrived yet.

So don't give up hope.

John

IMHO - Metal items through the international post - always delayed. It's heavy, might be gold and you trying to avoid duty etc. Or filled with drugs. It's been screened out and put in a manual queue for checking.

I've had the same long delay when buying from USA.

Regards

Ian

with xmas in between I would not despair yet, the times for post from USA do vary considerably

Many words of comfort, guys, thanks. I do hope it has been delayed. I keep looking out for the man from Parcelforce but nothing yet...............The seller has given me a refund but I'd rather have the plaque - it means more to me than the money.

Best wishes

David

It could have been in one of those fat parcel carrier aircraft which run between various US to Europe hubs such as Amsterdam or Frankfurt and then distributed from there. So,Old Owl's suggestion that it could be in Heathrow Customs (I suppose he means HMRC) could apply to the Douane NL or the Zoll DE,or other.They become the import checking station for first arrival in the EU,so there will be a few more processes after that before your postie gets hold of it to deliver.

I bought a 1914-1915 Star a couple of years ago. It took almost a month to get here......from Blackpool ! PO even offered me a book of stamps in compensation !

• 3 months later...

Just browsing back through some old threads... Did your plaque turn up, David?

James

David hasn't been here for a while - maybe gone to look for the plaque ?

Oh... did he blame us for it going missing??... :huh: