The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Herbert Leonard HUMPHREYS - plaque coming home

stephen p nunn

Dear all,

I am pleased to say, in this anniversary year, I have achieved something I have been searching for for many years. Thanks to a good mate and a popular auction site a Death Plaque for a Maldon lad is coming home.

It relates to a unique CWGC name - Herbert Leonard HUMPHREYS.

Herbert was a private (34427) in the 2nd Battalion of the Essex Regiment. He was born in Heybridge in 1894, the son of Frederick and Julia Humphreys.

The family lived at 55 Market Hill, Maldon.

He enlisted at Chelmsford and DoW on3/5/1917.

Herbert is buried at the Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension.

His name is listed on the original Town War Memorial and on the Rolls of Honour in All Saints Church and the Congregational Church. He also has a tree in the Avenue of Remembrance on the Promenade.

He was entitled to the pair (now sadly missing).

A special purchase.

Regards.

SPN
Maldon.

Thanks for your best wishes rjaydee. Yes, a special moment when I walk up to the memorial with it.

Regards.

Stephen.

Well done

Justin H

Yes well done, I know from personal experience that it is a special feeling almost pride when you manage to bring home plaques & medals to their home community.

Thanks mates - really kind of you.

Regards.

Stephen.

Nicely done, Stephen--thanks for sharing.

Chris

Thanks Chris. All the best.

Stephen

• 4 years later...

Five years on and this man's BWM is now also coming home. Amazing - plaque turned up in Colchester, medal in Lancashire. Just the Victory left!

Regards.

Stephen.

Maldon.

1 hour ago, mandy hall said:

Well done, what a lovely way to finish the year.

Mandy

Thanks Mandy - yes, great news. This is what I have on him at the moment:

Herbert Leonard HUMPHREYS

Born in Heybridge in 1894. Son of Frederick Humphreys and Julia Humphreys.

1901 – living with parents, Frederick (a Timber Porter) and Julia and older brothers (Harry, Frederick and James) and younger sister (Florence) at 55 Market Hill, Maldon.

1911 – living with parents, Frederick (a gardener) and Julia and older brothers (Harry, Frederick and James) and younger sister (Florence) at 70 Wantz Road, Maldon. At that stage 18 year old Herbert was an Apprentice Electric Mechanic at the Heybridge Iron Works.

Served as Private (34427) 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment (2nd Battalion)

Died of Wounds on 3/5/1917 (aged 23)

Buried Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension (II.F.33)

Herbert is remembered on the All Saints Roll of Honour, the Congregational church Roll of Honour and has a tree dedicated to him in the Avenue of remembrance on the Promenade (tree number 127).

Entitled to the medal pair (British War and Victory medals).

Thanks to a Forum friend, the War Diary seems to describe the following: The Battalion moved in succession from Lattre-St-Quentin to Hencourt to Laresset. On the 30/4/17 they were inspected in fighting order and at 8pm moved to the front line to relieve the 21st Northumberland Fusiliers. Casualties occurred. On the 1/5/17 whilst in the front line there was hostile snipping from the direction of the Chemical Works. More casualties resulted. On the 2/5/17 orders were received for an attack, but there were no casualties. On the 3/5/17 the attack commenced at 3.45am. the companies (A to the left, B to the right) met with heavy machine gun fire and were almost wiped out. What was left returned to the support trench from the 5th to the 8th. They eventually took the enemy position during the 9th./10th.

So I guess Herbert could have been wounded on the 30th (or before), 1st, or (as seems more likely given the scale) on the 3rd itself (when he DOW).

Plaque and BWM back home in Maldon 102 years after local lad Herbert Humphreys' death. Both purchased from on-line auction site but 5 years apart - Plaque was in nearby Colchester (Essex) and BWM in Blackpool (Lancashire). Amazing! Anyone seen the Victory Medal?

Best wishes.

Stephen

Maldon

humph.JPG

Great stuff Stephen, I now have a few groups to Hermitage men, and couple closely connected, feels very rewarding when you find them, and when you connect them to their wartime back story even more so... 

Best of luck with the VM. 

Andy 

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Thanks Andy.

Best wishes.

S.