Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

***Can you help identify this?***

Ad1069

This medal has been handed down to me, originating for my Great Grandfather. I don't much much about it other than I have heard it was handed to him personally by King George V during or after WW I. It has my G Grandfathers initials on the rear (AR) and although the photograph doesn't show it, it is halmarked and also has initials LP next to the halmark. I am trying to find out more about it but It isn't like any other medals or coins I've seen, and is attached to a pocket chain. Despite much research, I cannot find anything similar. post-105421-0-89456200-1389047143_thumb.post-105421-0-05986400-1389047156_thumb.

Did he take part in the war?

His name may be of some help and also a close up of the coat of arms.

Hi AD,

Welcome to the Forum.

The coat of arms certainly has a Royal appearance, but it is almost certainly non-military. What did your grandfather do during WW1? as this may lead to some ideas as to what the 'fob' represents.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with a more comprehensive answer for you.

Robert

Thanks for the replies, the honest answer is I don't know, and I don't think I'll be able to find out as everyone who maybe able to assist is now deceased!! As far as I know he did take part in the war but in terms of what context, again I am unable to say. I know it's all very vague but it's all I've got!! His name was Arthur Renshaw.

I am not sure if it is a royal coat of arms , even with magnification, I can only see what may be a harp?

If you check the full Royal Coat of Arms, then you will see that the shield depicted on the fob is almost identical to the shield on the Royal Coat of Arms which depicts the 4 quarters being clockwise: England, Scotland, England(again!) and Ireland.

There are too many Arthur Renshaws on the MIC's to easily identify your grandfather. Do you have any further details such as where he lived, date of birth, etc.?

There are too many Arthur Renshaws on the MIC's to easily identify your grandfather. Do you have any further details such as where he lived, date of birth, etc.?

Was he a bank Clerk from Oldham?

They are certainly the coat of arms used by George V.

Mick

post-11859-0-68678800-1389079579_thumb.j

Morning, apologies for this - my G Grandfather was called Alfred, not Arthur! He was from Ossett, West Yorks, and was orinigally a miner. He left due to ill health and started a wet fish merchants in wakefield, presumably post WW1, possibly even post WWII. But I have no details of military service etc.

I think that it is a watch fob. It could have been presented by George V as a "thank you" present for some service that your grand-father did. Or it might not and been purchased through a jeweller's shop. But it is not an official military-type medal.

I agree Jim. Its importance is, in my opinion, diminished by lack of an inscription and a date.

it is halmarked and also has initials LP next to the hallmark

LP could be the makers initials.

The hall mark itself would help dating it.