Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Duplicate medals

Guest EllenB

Hello from a new member

Could anyone please tell me if it was possible for a soldier to be issued with duplicate medals if he had served in two different regiments? I have a medal index card for my grandad for Royal Warwickshire regiment which gives his address, very rare I know, so it is definitely him. But researching family history recently another find gives the possibility he served with South Staffs M.G.C first before re-enlisting. Both of these cards have two regimental numbers on as well and the two cards show the same medals were issued.

Hi Ellen,

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, it is quite possible that he was awarded two sets of medals. It is not common, but never the less it did happen--is there any reference at the top of the MIC's stating 'Identical to' or similar? If there is then only one set will have been awarded.

Hope this helps?

Robert

Thank you Robert I will have a look and see if there is a reference as you suggest. You have given me hope I am on the right track with the family history.

• 2 weeks later...

You might need to see the original Medal Rolls to confirm that he was either issued with two sets,or not ! These are the rolls which are used to mark and send the medals to the recipients,so if they are all ticked off and no remarks then he got two sets !