Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark Hone

Hello Mark,
My Grand Father was in the 22nd Trench Mortar Battery and the War Diary for the 22nd TMB gives an account of the battle at Pilkem on the 6th July 15.

I was looking at your tread and I would be grateful for any information regarding your visit last year. I am unable to send you a PM

I intend to go there in September.It will be my first time to the battlefields, tracing my GF footsteps. I enclose a cropped map from the War Diary

Regards Gerry

6th july 1915.pdf

Unfortunately we didn't manage to fit in the visit last year. Just beforehand Yorkshire Trench collapsed and the site was sealed off. I'm hoping to go this year and see the new visitor centre nearby.

Some of you may know that (historically) Talana Farm Cemetery, just south of the built-up area of Boezinge, is my "favourite" cemetery. I come along twice or more times a day (by car), and often pop in when I make a bike ride. My "favourite cemetery" because approx. 100 soldiers in that cemetery come from the battlefield on the east bank of the canal (now industrial estate), killed in the 6-7 July 1915 battle (a "small but successful operation" near International Trench).

Today (and also yesterday and the day before) I was there, saying "hello" and paying my respects to William Banfield (Hampshire Reg.), Robert Brandt (Rifle Brigade), James McCarthy (East Lancs) and a dozen others who all became "friends" in the past 10 years. And I was pleased to see, in the visitors' book, that many came to the cemetery, in the period that a grandfather or greatuncle had fallen a century ago.

And I'll go back tomorrow.

Aurel

Thanks Mark,

Gerry

• 1 year later...

stiletto thanks for the information regarding 135 battery at Pilkem. this was one of the Batteries attached to 32 Brigade which was the deignation during the Great war which by 1947 was changed to 42 Regiment that I served with in 1965/69. your post has allowed me to add another name to the roll call for my Regimental web site. www.42regt.com