Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Rifle Brigade war Diary

mark.topham

Hi All

Wondering if anybody out there has access to the LRB War Diary.

Particularly interested in the section with eye witness accounts from 1st July 1916. Trying to track down a quote I saw many years ago.

Mark

1/5 Londons (RB) War Diary not yet digital,for info,reference WO95/2961 from Feb 1916 forward.169 Brigade of 56 Division.

2/5 Londons (RB) were also in France from Apr 1916.

What's the gist of the quote?

From what I remember it is an account from a Private who with an officer were the only two members of their platoon taking shelter in a shell hole in front of Gommecourt on the morning of the 1st July '16. The Private states that the officer spent some time urging that they should advance as that was their orders. Despite the obvious hopelessness of this suggestion and the fact that they were under heavy fire eventually the officer and the Private stand up to rush forward; the officer was instantly killed and the Private seriously wounded.

I was wanting to know if the officer was named.

mark

The officer was 2nd Lt Archibald Warner and the man Rfn. Henry Russell, although Russell called him Wallace in the account. Do you need any details about Warner? I have a brief biog on my other computer.

The officer was 2nd Lt Archibald Warner and the man Rfn. Henry Russell, although Russell called him Wallace in the account. Do you need any details about Warner? I have a brief biog on my other computer.

Fantastic; Yes any information would be gladly welcomed

Mark

2nd Lt. Archibald Warner, 1/5th London Regt. (London Rifle Brigade), was killed on 1st July 1916. The son of John and the late Alice Warner of Waddon House, Croydon, Warner was born on 13th February 1884. His father was an iron founder. Educated at Whitgift School, Leighton Park School, Reading and Queen’s College, Cambridge, he was articled to Messers Trinder, Capron & Co., London, solicitors, joining Messers Bennett and Ferris when he qualified. A keen sportsman he had been captain of the Queen’s College boat. He married Norah Elizabeth Goodbody, youngest daughter of Mr J Perry Goodbody of Inchmore, Clara, King’s County, Ireland, on 15th September 1914 and they lived at ‘Penarth’,. North Road, Carshalton. He attested as 3997 Private in the 3/28th London Regt. (Artists’ Rifles) on 4th June 1915 and served with them until October. He was commissioned into the 3/5th London Regt. on 29th October 1915 and joined the 1/5th London Regt. in France on 27th May 1916. He is buried in Hebuterne Military Cemetery, grave IV.D.7. His brother, 8050 Sgt Evan Warner, 1/5th London Regt. (London Rifle Brigade), was killed on 11th December 1914 and is buried in Lancashire Cottage Cemetery, grave I. C. 8

Warner%20A%20LRB2.jpg

Hi Mark and Bill

Do either of you have the text of the original quote? Archibald Warner is commemorated on Carshalton war memorial; I am currently writing a book about the men on the memorial and would love to include this information (Bill you have helped me out with my project previously, with photos from the TSG!).

Incidentally Archibald had another brother, Bertram, who was also killed.

Many thanks,

Andy

Russell's account is at the IWM; I have a copy if bmac can't source it. Incidentally Russell's brother was wounded on 1.7.16 with the LRB. Warner had a second brother, Evan, also killed serving with the LRB - pics of all 3 in the memorial book published by Croydon Counci. Chris

Russell's account is at the IWM; I have a copy if bmac can't source it. Incidentally Russell's brother was wounded on 1.7.16 with the LRB. Warner had a second brother, Evan, also killed serving with the LRB - pics of all 3 in the memorial book published by Croydon Counci. Chris

Any chance I could have a copy?

mark

mark

will need an email address; pm me? incidentally the third brother killed was Bertram. Chris

Hi Chris,

Could you possibly send me a copy too? Will PM my email.

Cheers,

Andy

Think your inbox is full Chris!

Andy try it again Chris

• 9 months later...

Hello Bill, Chris, Andy, Mark

I have been extremely fortunate to have purchased the portrait of Archibald Warner from David Cohen Fine Art in the last year. As you probably know, the oil portrait is a copy of the photograph at post number 7 by Bill.... (I believe that a copy of the photograph was used as the template for the painting).

Somehow I regrettably missed this series of fascinating posts until I searched for 'Archibald' on the Forum today!

I am currently writing a short account of the life of Archibald and I would love to have the war diary entries, and any other information, that any of you have... or anyone else.

If you are willing to pass the information to me, then I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you in advance of your help

Andrew

• 1 year later...

Hi Andrew,

Really sorry, only just seen your reply to this post. Did you still want the info or did you manage to get hold of copies?

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hello all. If it's of interest, I work at the school  Archibald Warner attended, Leighton Park , a Quaker School. The Archivist used the school records to write a book and put faces to the names on the school War Memorial, using the men's school files.  We are aware that 3 of the 4 Warner brothers died in the war. I am interested to read the account of his death.  We had a note from one of his peers that "a big shell came through the parapet of an advanced British Trench and killed him by its concussion".

Happy to answer any questions

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 07/01/2014 at 12:26, bmac said:

On 02/11/2014 at 22:31, aengland said:

Hello Bill, Chris, Andy, Mark

I have been extremely fortunate to have purchased the portrait of Archibald Warner from David Cohen Fine Art in the last year. As you probably know, the oil portrait is a copy of the photograph at post number 7 by Bill.... (I believe that a copy of the photograph was used as the template for the painting).

Somehow I regrettably missed this series of fascinating posts until I searched for 'Archibald' on the Forum today!

I am currently writing a short account of the life of Archibald and I would love to have the war diary entries, and any other information, that any of you have... or anyone else.

If you are willing to pass the information to me, then I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you in advance of your help

Andrew

On 04/01/2017 at 19:22, Guest said:

Hello all. If it's of interest, I work at the school  Archibald Warner attended, Leighton Park , a Quaker School. The Archivist used the school records to write a book and put faces to the names on the school War Memorial, using the men's school files.  We are aware that 3 of the 4 Warner brothers died in the war. I am interested to read the account of his death.  We had a note from one of his peers that "a big shell came through the parapet of an advanced British Trench and killed him by its concussion".

Happy to answer any questions

Hello. Archibald Warner was the first husband of my grandmother: Norah Elizabeth Goodbody, married 15 Sept 1914. Almost five years after he was killed on the first day of The Somme, she married my grandfather Llewellyn Marriage. My grandfather, Llewellyn attended Leighton Park in the same class as Archibald Warner and Harold Goodbody, Norah's brother.
Can you confirm? I am intrigued that three Quaker brothers, Evan (11/12/1914), Archibald (01/07/1916) and Bertram (12/04/1917), all fought and died in the War. I understand only Archie attended Leighton Park. I don't know why the other brothers did not attend the school. All three brothers died serving in the 5th battalion of the London Rifle Brigade although the first two joined up in other regiments. Archibald is commemorated on the Carshalton War Memorial. The other two are not, despite living in Croydon.  Any information you can give is very welcome. Thank you. 

24 minutes ago, David Marriage said:

Andrew. Sorry for the post of a blank space. I would love to see the portrait of Archibald Warner, if you still have it. I can supply an e-mail address. Thank you David 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the member who works at Leighton Park school is no longer a member here as denoted by guest. We will not have any contact information for them. @aengland is, however still an active member of the forum.

Michelle