Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scunthorpe Drill Hall 'Recruitment'

Woodsc

Hi

Can anyone please confirm the location of the Scunthorpe Drill Hall in 1916 when my man was recruited

I have searched the net for information and there is some references to it being located in Cole Street Scunthorpe. The current drill hall is located on Cottage Beck Road but I don't believe this was in operation in WW1

Also has anyone got any images of the WW1 Drill Hall

Hope someone can help ~ Thank You

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

I am more than happy to be corrected on this if I am incorrect but I think the Cole Street Drill Hall was post WW1, and that during WW1 the drill hall was located on Home Street, and has long since disappeared.

Simon

I am more than happy to be corrected on this if I am incorrect but I think the Cole Street Drill Hall was post WW1, and that during WW1 the drill hall was located on Home Street, and has long since disappeared.

Simon

Hi Simon

I'm not sure ~ obviously the Drill Hall in Cole Street was built in 1912 and could have been used

I was brought up in Manley Street close to Home St ~ cannot remember any buildings that may have been utilised ~ I have read there was a recruitment facility located in the Crosby Hotel on Normanby Road Scunthorpe

Colin

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the clarification and related information ~ I am however, still uncertain in which location my man would have enlisted

He enlisted into the 2/4th Bn Lincolnshire Regiment ~ all I have is the statement ~ 'He enlisted in Scunthorpe Drill Hall in January 24th 1916 and left on the noon train for Lincoln'

I'll keep searching ~ Thank You

Colin