Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colt .455 New Service Revolver

flers1916

I have just become the proud owner of a Colt .455 New Service Revolver so I would like to ask if there was a dedicated holster for this revolver. It fits my Webley Mk VI so was there a generic holster for all weapons of this type? Also are there any other 'accessories' for the Colt?

Bought one when we still could if you had a FAC, in a Patt.14 leather holster. Obviously been together for years as the leather had moulded itself to the shape of the Colt, it was believed to have belonged to a chap who had been a gunner in the Tanks. While Patt 14 pistol equipment was frequently worn by the Tank Crews there was no specific holster for Colts and the same holsters were used for Webleys and Smith &Wesson the only variation being the equipment pattern issued. - SW

Bought one when we still could if you had a FAC, in a Patt.14 leather holster. Obviously been together for years as the leather had moulded itself to the shape of the Colt, it was believed to have belonged to a chap who had been a gunner in the Tanks. While Patt 14 pistol equipment was frequently worn by the Tank Crews there was no specific holster for Colts and the same holsters were used for Webleys and Smith &Wesson the only variation being the equipment pattern issued. - SW

Oh, you still can have a pre 1919 pistol - crucially only in certain calibres - on an English FAC, as a collectors item. Section 7(1) of the 1997 Firearms (Amendment) Act. You won't get an ammunition entitlement for it though.

.455 Webley is one of the permitted calibres.

Sure - but I had seven or eight WW1 handguns which I used frequently on pistol ranges which is what I had in mind when I posted - SW

I have just become the proud owner of a Colt .455 New Service Revolver so I would like to ask if there was a dedicated holster for this revolver. It fits my Webley Mk VI so was there a generic holster for all weapons of this type? Also are there any other 'accessories' for the Colt?

graham43,

Congratulations, you will enjoy your Colt New Service .455 Revolver, it was one of the 60,000 provided under a contract Colt had with the British Government during WW1.

It is a superbly made revolver and a pleasure to shoot, compared with the Smith and Wesson .445, the Colt's hand grip feels that much larger.

There was no ' Colt ' pistol case/holster made specifically for the British .455 revolver, and all those I have seen used the Webley type. However, there was a ' Colt ' lanyard, originals tend to be a little expensive, about 70 pounds, and there are also copies on the market.

The only other ' Colt ' item, is the ' Colt ' .455 ammunition made by Dominion with the headstamp ' Dominion .455 Colt '.

Attached is my Colt New Service .455 Revolver Officer's rig, with the Colt lanyard.

Also attached is a photo of my .455 Webley Mk. VI revolver, my .455 Colt New Service revolver and my .455 Smith and Wesson Mark II Hand Ejector Revolver, for comparison of each, with all 3 revolvers being made for the British military during WW1.

I was able to contact all three Archives, Webley, Colt and Smith and Wesson and obtain excellent information on each revolver based on their serial numbers.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-13297400-1388864131_thumb.j

post-63666-0-99840900-1388864153_thumb.j

post-63666-0-47562200-1388864215_thumb.j

Thank you all for the very interesting replies. LF thank you for the brilliant pictures -- so Smith and Wesson next? Some may not approve but I cut down bullets and cases to fit into the cylinders - it hides the welded deactivation work. Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all.

so Smith and Wesson next?

The Smith and Wesson .455 is another excellent, well made revolver and also a pleasure to shoot.

Happy New Year.

Regards,

LF

Thank you all for the very interesting replies. LF thank you for the brilliant pictures -- so Smith and Wesson next? Some may not approve but I cut down bullets and cases to fit into the cylinders - it hides the welded deactivation work. Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all.

I own a Smith & Wesson .455" Revolver, and would like to add some cut down rounds for authenticity, but am having difficulty locating any brass cases. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I own a Smith & Wesson .455" Revolver, and would like to add some cut down rounds for authenticity, but am having difficulty locating any brass cases. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Are you in the U.K. or Overseas ?

LF

• 2 weeks later...

LF I bought bullets from Worldwide arms and DGB Militaria.

Webely cylinder with false brass

Webley cylinder with false bullets

Also re my question about a holster for my recently bought .445 Colt New Service I have bought one off ebay which fits very well, where as it does not suit my holster for my Webley. It looks old and has the 'imprint' of a similar shaped revolver. Any thoughts? Please see pictures.

Holster  for Colt .445

Also re my question about a holster for my recently bought .445 Colt New Service I have bought one off ebay which fits very well, where as it does not suit my holster for my Webley. It looks old and has the 'imprint' of a similar shaped revolver. Any thoughts? Please see pictures.

Graham,

Does the holster have any markings ?

LF

LF

None that I can find - I have had a good look at it but nothing I can spot, certainly no makers stamp similar to other leather items I own. Also no personal marking like a name scratched into the flap. There are, however, some fine scars which suggests it has been used. It is very dark if not black which I have been told is either R.U.C or the Rifle Brigade. Graham

LF

None that I can find - I have had a good look at it but nothing I can spot, certainly no makers stamp similar to other leather items I own. Also no personal marking like a name scratched into the flap. There are, however, some fine scars which suggests it has been used. It is very dark if not black which I have been told is either R.U.C or the Rifle Brigade. Graham

Graham,

It may have been issued to the R.I.C. ( not R.U.C. ) Royal Irish Constabulary, who used black leather accoutrements, and the Webley R.I.C. revolver had barrels ranging from 2.5 inches to 6 inches, so perhaps a Webley R.I.C. revolver ?

Regards,

LF

Hello Graham,

I am not much help but the button snap isn't consistent with British GW pattern holsters (large frame), I get the feeling that it may be 'saddler' made, possibly for the Spanish made copy of the SW in .455, from memory (I used to have a S&W 44 D.A) the grips are a lot smaller than a Webley.

khaki

Following on from khaki's comments - was this common practice for soldiers to have a 'bespoke' holster made? Did the 'issued' holster have a brass stud and button hole type closer?