Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Horse Guards

basiloxford

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has access to the war diary / other records of the Royal Horse Guards (3rd Cavalry Division) during October 1914.

I'm currently researching a trooper by the name of Montague Browning who had only arrived in France on October 7, yet sadly died of his wounds just three weeks later on October 29.

Any help would be very much appreciated,

Barry.

I have the regimental history at home; I'll have a dekko later.

1296 M Browning is listed in the Roll of Honour at the back of the book (The Story of the Household Cavalry, Vol III by Capt Sir G Arthur, Bt) as a Corporal.

Generally,the regiment had been in trenches round Zillebeke, but on the 26th, while preparing to co-operate with an advance by the 2nd and 3rd Divisions, the RHG were sent to assist the 7th Division, who were being pressed hard round Kruiseecke. The regiment made amounted demonstration towards Zandvoorde, losing 8 men and 25 horses. They then spent the next two days holding some poor trenches on the front slope of a ridge near Zandvoorde.

Nothing much else, I'm afraid.

Hello Steven,

Many thanks for the replies.

Montague Browning was indeed a Corporal at the time of his death, but the date of his promotion isn't very clear, (possibly October 4, 1914), so-much-so that his service records mostly refer to him as a trooper. His father in-fact, when asked for an address for the delivery of the Mons Star in January 1919, was forced to correct the sender, i.e the Royal Horse Guards, Regents Park, who had again referred to Montague as a trooper.

Many thanks again,

Barry.

I suspect it was a rapid and war-time promotion. The regiment had sent a Squadron to the Composite Regiment, so when the decision was made to send the RHG and the 1st and 2nd Life Guards as the 7th Cavalry Brigade, a lot of reservists were taken in, together with a large number of Reservists from Line Cavalry regiments. I suspect he was made up pretty swiftly to help deal with the influx.

Hello Steven,

Just to make things a little more confusing as to the rank of Montague Browning, I've just discovered an interesting article in a local newspaper which suggests that he was a Captain. Appearing in an edition of Oxford Times: dated 5 December 1914, - the following appeared which shows if nothing else, the correct regiment and home address, although unfortunately gives no date of death: -

Capt. M. Browning, 9 Minster Road, Oxford, Royal Horse Guards (Blues) was killed at Zandvoorde near Ypres which is now in the hands of the Germans. In addition to the official information from the War Office, Captain H. L. Brassey and Lord Tweedmouth, officers of the Blues, have expressed their regret privately, and said he was a gallant and brave officer. Capt. Brassey was bringing his name under notice for having taken a wounded comrade into the outhouse of a farmhouse, and having prevented his death by stopping the flow of blood from a severed artery in the arm. The house was afterwards surrounded by Germans, who overtook Capt. Browning and his comrade. In some miraculous way the dead officer got through the German lines safely.

I've checked the CWGC website for a possible Captain M. Browning with no success, and apart from Montague Browning, the only other man with that surname and initial served with the Devonshire Regiment.

It makes you wonder if its a simple mistake with the rank, or a case of mistaken identity as far as the man was concerned.

Barry.

Definitely Corporal in the regimental history.