Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Linking two brothers

J.J.

I am currently researching a pair of brothers (Grandfather and Great uncle) who served in the army in the Great War. One brother served with 2RWF in the 19th Infantry Brigade in the BEF. His sibling Frederick Mark Brown served in the XXIV Brigade RFA with the 112th Battery. The period I am particularly interested in is the last quarter of 1914.

I know William's journey through France and Flanders from August to September 1914 when the Brigade took part in the Battle of the Marne and I know of Frederick's travels from Newbridge Barracks in Ireland to France where he arrived in September '14.

The 112th Battery were part of the 6th Division and the 19th Infantry Brigade, whilst an independent brigade, served with the 6th Division at the Battle of Aisne and subsequently at the First Battle of Ypres. What I am seeking to establish is were the two brothers in action together?

I have read the 6th Divisional history for the period and whilst it give some detail of what the infantry were involved in it makes only passing reference to the artillery.

I do know from William's journal that the two of them were in the same place Baillins (probably Bailleul) on October 14th 1914 but no more than that.

Any help on where to go next would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum !

It's likely that these units fought together at Armentieres. 19 Brigade fought away from the Division prior to this.

If you get to see each unit's War Diary you might be able to see where they may have joined in together:

WO95/2423 is for 2 RWF from Aug 1914,it is digital on the National Archives Discovery database and downloadable for £3.36,and,

WO95/1597/2 is for 24 Bde RFA from Aug 19`14,but is not yet digital so would need to be seen at Kew,or ordered from there.

The other possibility to see where they were deployed is in the WO153 series of situation maps,again at Kew and not digital.

On 14th Oct 2nd RWF were advanced guard for 19th Bde and passes through STRAZELLE & BAILLEUL before coming to a halt. C & D Coys remained in outposts along the BAILLEUJ-NIEPPE road. A & B Coys were in reserve .

If it's just the first few months of the 2nd Bn diary you are after then PM me your email.

You may already be aware of The War the Infantry Knew by Capt J C Dunn? He was the MO for 2nd Bn RWF and this book is a day by day account of their war. He describes the day in a bit more detail. There is also Old Soldiers Never Die* by Frank Richards DCM MM who writes from the soldiers view. In fact the books would give you more than the War Diary. If William was 7838 then there is a good chance he served with Richards in India. Richards has a book called Old Soldier Sahib* covering that period.

Hywyn

* If you were to get these then I would suggest you go for the versions annotated by Krijnen and Langley.

Hywyn

Very many thanks for the information you supplied, it was superb however one piece of information begets a supplementary question.

The 'pairs' roll shows William as attd (presumably attached) Int.Police. 1 Army; can you throw any light on what that means and would it involve him being away from the Battalion?

Joe

Joe

I'm afraid I do not know what the duties were with that unit.

The 'attachments' shown in the Remarks column denote being off a battalion strength.

Hywyn