Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish Military pension records to be released. (1916-23)

MickLeeds

Hello.

I thought this upcoming release of records would be on interest to many on the forum

The pension records of those who fought in the Easter Rising and War of Independence are to be released on Friday 17 January. This collection holds some 300,000 files relating to 60,000 people who earned an old IRA pension.

The pensioners served as members of the Irish Volunteers, the Irish Citizen Army, the Irish Republican Army, Cumann na mBan, the National Army/Defence Forces and similar organisations during the period from April and May 1916 to 30 September 1923.

Mick.

Irish Genealogy News.

http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/military-pension-records-to-be-released.html

That is good news. I applied for a copy of someone’s pension records in October of last year and was told the records would be released in 2016 for the 100th anniversary. They must have finished the project to put the records online early.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of details of Connaught Rangers in the batch released.

Mark

Lots of details of Connaught Rangers in the batch released.

Mark

Seems to be mostly pension claims from those involved in the Mutiny.

That is good news. I applied for a copy of someone’s pension records in October of last year and was told the records would be released in 2016 for the 100th anniversary. They must have finished the project to put the records online early.

I applied for my grandfathers records and waited 18 months until I received them in the post in November 2013. They are not on-line today and I believe the on-line collection is far from complete. I think this is just the start.

I applied for my grandfathers records and waited 18 months until I received them in the post in November 2013. They are not on-line today and I believe the on-line collection is far from complete. I think this is just the start.

It's the first release of records - there should be more following (290k or so)

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/military-service-pensions-collection/release-information

Craig

Fabulous stuff, well done to all concerned.

Seems to be the one thing we get right over here Tom. Free archives on-line! Well done to all concerned is right!

Thanks for posting,

There is a full name list of all the men in the Individual Pension Applications Release 1 here:

www.militaryarchives.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/MSPC/WENTIRELISTRELEASE1.pdf

Unfortunately for me my grandfather's application is not there, but by following the links to the pension collection's IRA Nominal Rolls I was able to find his name on a company list of the 1st Btn, 4th Meath Bde, 1st Eastern Div. That's info I never had before (Sod's Law he was in the 4th Bde - I had to trawl through a lot of PDFs until I found him!).

Simon

These records are amazing,

Seems to be mostly pension claims from those involved in the Mutiny.

http://mspcsearch.militaryarchives.ie/docs/files//PDF_Pensions/ConRan/CONRAN12WILLIAMBURLAND/WCONRAN12WILLIAMBURLAND.pdf

Page 14 of this file gives a list of mutineers - mostly with WW1 service no doubt.

Mark