Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My first Webley - a Mark V

RangeRover

Just arrived today. I've been like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to arrive. A 1915-dated Webley Mk V with six-inch barrel. I'm delighted with it. Very far from the most pristine example, but she seems to function just fine. All numbers match and she remains in .455.

Thanks to some information provided via armsresearch.co.uk, I've learned that it would have been sent into military stores between May and July of 1915 and, from there, no doubt quickly to the continent. That's enough for me, to give me a sense of time and place when held up against the history of the Great War

Here are a couple of photos. As you can see, the revolver is all patina, with no original finish left. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I have an appropriate lanyard, but will need to source a suitable pistol case for it. It's just in the door, but already it appears to have become my son's favourite. Once it warms up, and the snow melts a bit, we'll take her to the range.

MkV-right.jpg

MkV-leftclose.jpg

A 1915-dated Webley Mk V with six-inch barrel. I'm delighted with it. Very far from the most pristine example, but she seems to function just fine. All numbers match and she remains in .455.

I own several Webleys, and can appreciate how very pleased you are with your new purchase, and it is great that it is still in it's original .455 calibre. You will also enjoy firing it, in all a great revolver.

Whenever I am handling the Webley, I always think of the soldier who had previously owned/used it, and the history attached to it.

Enjoy, a great revolver.

Regards,

LF

Here are a couple of photos. As you can see, the revolver is all patina, with no original finish left. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I really like that appearance. I think it is in beautiful 'aged' condition ... and very well marked to boot. Congratulations on scoring a nice revolver. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Perfect! You lucky man. Each war memento has its merits to each collector, and I think this one will be very special for you!

Chris

• 1 month later...

The one thing that I must ask of the "Webleyites" out there, the Mk V as originally built/designed was with the shorter barrel with fixed blade sight, but as we know, toward the end of production Webley continued production using the Mk VI barrel, The question begs the asking, why was it not given its own designation eg., MkV transition model, or maybe the use of modification stars. Considering the prolific use of 'stars' for modifications it does seem unusual to me, what do you think??? ***

khaki***

:ph34r:

The one thing that I must ask of the "Webleyites" out there, the Mk V as originally built/designed was with the shorter barrel with fixed blade sight, but as we know, toward the end of production Webley continued production using the Mk VI barrel,

khaki,

The Webley Mark V had quite a short life, it was approved for both Land and Naval Service use on 6th June 1914 and was fitted with a 4 inch barrel. Just 11 months later in May 1915, a new Pattern Mark V was approved for Land Service only which was fitted with a 6 inch barrel ( the Mark V 6 inch barrel ).

Almost immediately after that, 24th May, 1915, the Webley Mark VI was approved, and Webley's production switched to producing the new Mark VI with the War Department's contract with Webley & Scott calling for a weekly delivery of 2,500 Webley Mark VI revolvers.

Production of the Webley Mark V was only for approximately one year, June 1914 to June 1915.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF, on the mark as usual, it was the lack of designation, which in some cases of earlier models was used with relatively minor changes, in this case, to my mind the change is quite a profound one and worthy of a 'name/designation' although in essence it's still a Mk V and I appreciate the limited time in production, the British are noted for their enthusiasm for naming everything 'for the use of' etc , so I am amazed that this escaped the vigilance of the manufacturers and even collectors.

khaki

worthy of a 'name/designation'

khaki,

Technically, there would have been a change in designation.The Webley Mark V with the 4 inch barrel, was probably officially known as the " Revolver, service for Land and Naval use ", and presumably would have had a List of Changes number allocated to it when approved.

Likewise, when the new Pattern Mark V with the 6 inch barrel was approved, that was probably officially know as the " Revolver, service for Land use only " and would have also presumably had a new List of Changes number allocated to it upon approval.

I have been looking for the ' official ' descriptions for both the 4 inch and 6 inch Mark V Webley Service Revolvers, and or their List of Changes numbers.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF,

Very interesting thoughts of yours, sort of reminds me of all the Brown Bess models etc., I tend to think (probably incorrectly) of the model as a MkV transition model, however you are correct with something like land service and sea and land service models, although a bit of a mouthful in it's full form. I am very interested in your research, please keep us informed.

regards

khaki

ps. My gun shop buddy let me buy his MkVI in .455 and gave me a full box of ammunition

(k)

ps. My gun shop buddy let me buy his MkVI in .455 and gave me a full box of ammunition

(k)

I will let you know if I find anything on the List of Changes for the Mark V.

Good news, enjoy the Mark VI, a great revolver and a lot of fun to shoot, especially using the ' man stopping ' .455 cartridge.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

khaki,

The Webley Mark V had quite a short life, it was approved for both Land and Naval Service use on 6th June 1914 and was fitted with a 4 inch barrel. Just 11 months later in May 1915, a new Pattern Mark V was approved for Land Service only which was fitted with a 6 inch barrel ( the Mark V 6 inch barrel ).

Production of the Webley Mark V was only for approximately one year, June 1914 to June 1915.

Regards,

LF

Hello again LF,

Is it known how many of the new pattern Mk V were made with the 6" barrel ?

thanks

khaki

Is it known how many of the new pattern Mk V were made with the 6" barrel ?

khaki,

Bruce & Reinhart's and also Dowell's Webley reference books only refer to the total number of Webley Mark Vs ordered by the British Government, which was an order for 20,000 Mark V revolvers.

This order was placed on 19th September 1914, and specified a delivery rate of 500 revolvers per week. The Webley Mark V revolvers produced at the start of this contract, were made with a 4 inch barrel.

The Mark V with the 6 inch barrel was introduced in May 1915, just 8 months later.

So for the period that the Mark V with the 4 inch barrel was produced i.e. September 1914 to May 1915, some 8 months or approximately 32 weeks and given the delivery rate of 500 revolvers per week, that would account for 16,000 ( 32 weeks @ 500 per week ) Mark V revolvers made with the 4 inch barrel.

With the total order being for 20,000 Mark V revolvers, that would leave a balance of just 4,000 revolvers made with the 6 inch barrel. These Mark V revolvers with the 6 inch barrel would have been made between May 1915 and completion of the contract.

Assuming my figures are correct, I would estimate that some 4000 Webley Mark V revolvers were made with a 6 inch barrel.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF,

Based on your calculations, it appears that the MkV 6", allowing for attrition must be the less common of the Webley (military) family.

khaki

Your estimate, LF, aligns with the information kindly provided by Richard at armsresearch.co.uk in response to my query after getting the Mk V pictured at the start of this thread.

He says there were approximately 3700 military Mk V Webleys produced with the six-inch barrel, cautioning, however, that because factory records are incomplete it may have been higher. He also indicated there were some additional private purchase examples produced with the six-inch barrel.

Your estimate, LF, aligns with the information kindly provided by Richard at armsresearch.co.uk in response to my query after getting the Mk V pictured at the start of this thread.

He says there were approximately 3700 military Mk V Webleys produced with the six-inch barrel, cautioning, however, that because factory records are incomplete it may have been higher. He also indicated there were some additional private purchase examples produced with the six-inch barrel.

Many thanks for the confirmation of my estimate.

The Webley Mark V with the 6 inch barrel is scarce, and is a nice revolver to own.

Regards,

LF