Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 uniform?

alan jones

Hello ,I would value your opinions on these uniforms please as to whether they are WW1 ? The photo is supposed to be of a relation of a friend of mine but he was born 1865 ! They certainly dont look old enough on the photo to me . It is titled Charles Genders . Any thoughts would be much appreciated , thank you .

Regards

Alan

post-6066-0-59103300-1388574203_thumb.jp

Thank you , in 1911 , he was a coal miner . I notice that he has a son called Charles Stanley Genders born 1894 , perhaps he is more appropriate ?

Regards

Alan

In wartime, very possible, I'd say.

Yes I take your point , that is the trouble on Ancestry Trees , people seem to invent relations and notions but I feel I have to follow it up as I dont want the old lady thinking her dad was an officer if he wasn't .

Thanks

Alan

I did find an MIC for a Charles Stanley Genders , 11644 Coldstream Gds , 86566 RE , RGA off 139.138 .

Any thoughts on that ?

Regards

Alan

Two appear to be wearing the 1914/15 Star. If so, the date of the photo is likely to be between 1918 and about 1920.

Simon

The one's on the L and R have been around a bit to be Lt and 2nd Lt especially given the medal ribbon, so no reason they couldn't have come through the ranks.

Sorry, I got called away.

Just looking at:

Charles GENDERS

Calculated year of birth: 1866
Parish of birth: Tamworth
County of birth: Staffordshire
Age at attestation: 18 years 2 months
Attestation date: 18 August 1884
Attestation corps: 4TH BATTALION DERBYSHIRE REGIMENT
Attestation soldier number: 1491
Discharge corps: South Staffordshire Regiment - 38th & 80th Foot

Thank you CGM , I have his birth as 18th Jan 1865 so not sure if that works out ok . Where can I see this information please ? I have the usual Ancestry subs . I notice it does not give a discharge date .

Regards

Alan

Hi,

Family called again (sigh) :lol: .

Calculating a year of birth and arriving at a result which is one year out is easily done. However, there is a Charles GENDERS, birth registered Tamworth, Staffordshire District, Jul-Aug-Sep, 1865, and this fits slightly better so could well be the man in the above records. (18 years 2 months in August).

Do you have any pre-war addresses for the family?

CGM

I have the 1911 census for Charles Genders and family . He was a coal miner and living at 10 Dent St ,Tamworth . Hope this helps a bit . Thank you

Regards

Alan

..............Where can I see this information please ? I have the usual Ancestry subs . I notice it does not give a discharge date .

Regards

Alan

This record is on Findmypast

British Army Service Records
1760-1915
This particular Charles GENDERS was a Collier, working for the The Egginton Colliery Coy in 1884, when he attested.
FMP offer a PayAsYouGo system. You do not have to subscribe. There are 4 sheets in his records.
I can't read it all but I can't see any Next Of Kin or home address records, unfortunately.