Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Balding

judecowie@mac.com

Hi All - Happy New Year to Everyone

Stuck with a couple of names on the Bawtry War Memorial - Harry Balding, death is listed as 1918. I have checked the CWGC, SDGW and local newspaper index - but cannot find this man - or anyone similar (spelling or otherwise) linking him to Bawtry of any of the surrounding villages.

I hope the attached photo of the War Memorial is legible - as I struggle to upload photos from my Mac computer.

Thanks and Regards

John

post-48813-0-18849300-1388501197_thumb.j

Free BMD gives a death for a Harry Balding registered in Wakefield first quarter 1918.

There was also a 241832 Sgt Harry Balding discharged with a SWB from the 5th King's Own Yorks Light Infantry on 30.5.1917

Two other Harry Baldings were discharged with a SWB as well, but the KOYLI man is most likely?

A death certificate might confirm it.

BillyH.

Could this be him:

4766 (later 241832) Pt. Harry Balding - 3/5 K.O.Y.L.I. - Meldon Cottage, School Walk, Bawtry.

Enlisted at Doncaster: 6 Dec. 1915. Aged: 23 yrs 9 mths. Served in France: 14 Jan - 24 Apr 1917.

Discharged as "no longer physically fit for service - tubercule of the lung" - 30 Aug 1917. Disease originated about Jan 1917 - aggravated by active service.

:poppy: Died at Cardigan Sanatorium, Wakefield, - 13 Jan 1918.

Wife: [poss] Nellie [?] Children: Robert William - b. 23 Dec 1912 and Henry - b. 19 Jan 1915.

Happy New Year

Graham

[Edit] - conforms with the BMD entry noted by BillyH above - our posts crossed !

Thanks Guys

I am very grateful for this information - I have no idea how you do this but I am well impressed.

Have a Wonderful New Year

Regards

John

As Harry died as as a result as a "Consequence of War" - he should be entitled to a Commonwealth War Grave - but I can't find an entry?

Is it missing or am I wrong?

Regards

John

I have a man on my local memorial who died of TB "attributable to service in the present war" in 1918.

He does not have a CWGC headstone either, and is not on their database.

It might have something to do with an army pension, someone else may be able to explain?

BillyH

Thanks Guys

I had come across the "In from the Cold" website before, but I totally forgot about it, but it is nice to know that others researching names have this problem - I was very lucky to have the guys on the Forum to help.

Much appreciated

John

Hi John

If you drop me a PM with your e mail address then we at IFCP should be able to help you out

Chris

I have a man on my local memorial who died of TB "attributable to service in the present war" in 1918.

He does not have a CWGC headstone either, and is not on their database.

It might have something to do with an army pension, someone else may be able to explain?

BillyH

Hi Billy

If you drop me a PM I will see what IFCP can do to help

Chris

Thanks to Chris Harley's help it looks like my man will now be commemorated.

He volunteered on 3rd Sept 1914 and was discharged with TB on 2nd Oct 1918 (attributable to war service)

Died 3 weeks after discharge.

Sincere thanks to Chris, BillyH.

• 3 weeks later...

Harry's DC arrived today; cause of death TB. This case is a runner

Chris

• 10 years later...

Hi Chris,

I know it’s been a a fair few years since you posted about Harry Balding.

I am researching Harry Balding for my friend as it is his great uncle.
Do you happen to have any extra info on this gent that is not accessible on the internet?

many thanks. 

• Admin

Chris Harley died last year. 

On 16/04/2024 at 20:37, Ryan1997 said:

Do you happen to have any extra info on this gent that is not accessible on the internet?

Depends where you look and what you can access on-line.

:) A good result I would say: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75451290/harry-balding :poppy:- clearly on-line accessible and free

Pension index cards on Western Front Association / Fold3 https://www.westernfrontassociation.com - on-line accessible by subscription

On 31/12/2013 at 15:25, GrahamC said:

Wife: [poss] Nellie [?] Children: Robert William - b. 23 Dec 1912 and Henry - b. 19 Jan 1915.

Wife/widow, Nellie b.22.4.98, and youngest child, Henry, on PIC - but no sign of Robert William, which seems potentially ominous since somebody should have been able to claim an allowance for him until he was 16.

Claim DEAD [by] 5/11/28 - again looks worrying since Henry should have been entitled to an allowance until his 16th birthday in 1931, even if his mother was remarried or dead by then.  ???

M