Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medals?

Drew-1918

Hello,

Would be grateful for any help identifying any of the medals in the attached photograph. I think they are WW1, though they are shown worn by a 'fireman' some time after the war.

I have already posted re the photograph here;

However, I thought I would try and see if any experts on medals could offer any advice. I am told that the medal on the fireman's right breast is probably a deceased relative's. I have no idea what it is though. The only 'zigzag' patterns on a medal ribbon that I have found so far are for regimental medals of the HAC or Royal Artillery.

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Chris

post-79295-0-63780700-1388467681_thumb.j

post-79295-0-43787200-1388467880_thumb.j

Thanks very much Robert. I thought that one looked very different to anything I had seen on here. If you don't mind me asking, what about the other ones on the left breast. Do they look like they are from WW1?

Regards,

Chris

It might help if you can date the helmet. I was advised on another thread some time ago about the date when fire services stopped using that style of helmet.

Keith

Hi Chris,

I don't know much about Fire Brigade medals, but the one on his right side looks like some sort of profficiency medal? Those on his left side appear that they could be a 1902 Coronation and a QSA with clasp, the third medal I cannot even hazard a guess at!!

Purely my own opinion, but I think quite possible.

Robert

Thanks very much Keith. Didn't think of that. I'll see what I can dig up.

Cheers,

Chris

Timbob,

That's funny, I wondered that too. The triangle in the middle kind of gives it that look.

Robert,

Well spotted. That's a nice little lead for me to look into. Very helpful, thanks a lot.

Cheers Gents,

Chris

It is a road safety driving award medal.

The style of helmet was worn as a parade issue item up to the 1930s ,the photograph does seem to have a 1920s early 1930s feel , during this period the Brigade did recruit quite heavily from the RN , apparently similar sorts of routine lots of brass polishing then short periods of intense activity! the ribbon does seem similar to the Road Safety medals issued ,but then the shadow of the pyramid would suggest Masonic ?

I have my grandfather's Safe Driving Diplomas from 1923 to 1933 and his ribbons with bars of different designs (they changed over the years) from 1934 to 1961.

The ribbons are bottle green with a dark orange flash. (Edit: except for 1944 to 1954 when the ribbons are plain bottle green)

I can't match the medal in the photo with the different medals for 5, 10 and 25 years. Maybe it's for the first year ??

The Diploma from 1923 reads:

London Safety First Council

Freedom from Accidents Competition

Diploma

awarded to......

of.....(the firm he drove for)

for having been Free from Accidents

whilst driving in the Greater London

Area during the year ending 31st

December 1923.

The wording in 1928 changed to the National Safety First Association and....for having been free from accidents for which he was in any way blameworthy whilst driving a vehicle during the year ending 31st December 1928.

At some point ROSPA took over (mid 1950s?)

CGM

That's very helpful, thanks very much. Few things for me to think about there. Perhaps the shadow on the triangle seems to make it look a little less like the road safety triangle, as I think you are wondering.

CGM

Thanks very much, too. It's great to have an such pertinent examples to compare mine to. Your mention of the first year made me try and look into it. Found this;

http://www.medal-medaille.com/sold/product_info.php?cPath=248&products_id=8551&osCsid=en0uctu61lfrk9r011p3a2vm11

Not exactly the same, but quite close don't you think. Thanks very much indeed!

No problem, glad to have helped.

Drew, I had to stop to cook lunch but I will photograph the medals I have.

The one you have linked to in #14 looks very like my Grandfather's 5 year medal.

Auchonvillerssomme, Thanks again for first pointing it out.

CGM, That's very kind of you. Would be interesting to see, if and when you have time. Cheers.

Daniel, Thanks for that. I did wonder about the Royal Artillery link, too. Looking like it might be the driving safety one, but worth considering all options. Very good of you to post.

Many Thanks,

Chris

Auchonvillerssomme, Thanks again for first pointing it out.

CGM, That's very kind of you. Would be interesting to see, if and when you have time. Cheers.

Daniel, Thanks for that. I did wonder about the Royal Artillery link, too. Looking like it might be the driving safety one, but worth considering all options. Very good of you to post.

Many Thanks,

Chris

Maybe it's one of those odd 'Frankenmedals' where someone put a driving safety medal on a RA ribbon? Stranger things have happened... :)

-Daniel

I'm afraid I will have to photograph them tomorrow as I missed the decent daylight and flash is hopeless.

Do you have relatives in the Greater London area, one of whom could have been a fireman?

CGM

The helmet and tunic make it difficult to date, it looks like a dress tunic rather than a working tunic, they still wore that get up until recently for weddings etc. The other medals are of interest, the middle one looks like one of the India General Service Medals. This certificate is a National Fire Service driving award so they certainly took part in the awards.

post-11859-0-22308800-1388509900_thumb.j

CGM,

Nearly everybody is/was in the Greater London area. I have done a fair bit of genealogical investigation in the past, and I never came across any Fire Service links before. ^_^

Auchonvillerssomme,

Very useful info, thanks again. Nice to know that it could have been awarded to a fireman. Thanks too re the India General Service Medal. That might be likely given the time spans involved.

Cheers,

Chris