Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 Iron Cross 2nd class

roypaule

Hi all,

Happy New Year to all!

I'm writing about a 1914 Iron Cross 2nd class which is in my collection for so many many years now. It was one which had intrigued me ( when I bought this item in Germany) and still continues to intrigue me to this day. I have some EK2cl in my collection and through the years, I fairly have educated myself with it.

When I bought this one, the center is indeed iron(magnetic) and of 3-pc construction. It is unmarked. With a tattered ribbon.(combatant).

BUT, the 'ribbed' area of the trim is different. While all of my other items clearly show a silver/silver plated color, this one has the hue color of bronze/brass (faint, but clearly yellowish color). It is also non-magnetic.

Hope you could give me some insights on this one. Really intrigued me for so many years now ^_^

Thanks and kind regards from the Philippines.

Roy

1545759_10153727645160294_399415408_n.jp

Thanks Sir. Here's the picture. (I have noticed that the yellowish hue is not really pronounced here in the picture, but more pronounced in the actual

medal.

It is non-maker marked.

Happy New Year!

Roy

Not that I am any sort of expert but that looks like a nice, normal EKII to me where the silver happened to patinize (is that a word?) in a yellowish hue.

-Daniel

You probably already know this, but almost always with EKII's the maker mark, if there is one, is stamped on the ribbon ring (and might be behind the ribbon). You will need a jewellers loop to properly read it if your eyes are like mine).

Otherwise as an ex-German collector, the strike looks very clean, and the colour may well be OK. I agree with ph0ebus, it easily could just be patina. (if patinize isn't a word, it should be ;) )

Chipper

Looks like a fine example to me.... would be good though to check the ring for the makers mark.... I am stating what will be obvious to most but with an original medal like this.. absolutely nothing should be done to it,... leave as is!.

Dear all,

Thanks so much for the input. Now I know why it turned to a yellowish hue. The pin is quite stuck to the ribbon (rust there) but with extra care I've managed to get it off.

Happy New Year :thumbsup:

Roy

Nothing wrong with this one. If you can show the reverse as well I can ask some friends who might be able to id the maker for you.

PS the word is patinate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A large portion have a "makers mark" which is basically a letter, or couple of letters stamped on the ring. This was basically a quality control mark for delivery to the Govt.

But there were private purchase pieces that were bought during, but more often between the wars. I am guessing a big rush post 1933 when uniforms became popular again. These "between the wars" pieces were not controlled in any way and would not have a stamp on the ring, and depending on how much the man wanted to spend, could be either silver and Iron, or Brass and whatever....

Here is an award piece, you can see the control stamp near the ring...

Compared to a cheap private purchase piece....

post-748-0-74707300-1389594027_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-98360700-1389594111_thumb.jpg