Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt John Mulgrave Martin MC

Capt B

Hi, I am currently researching Lt John Mulgrave Martin, Wilts R & M.G. Corps. His MC citation dated 20 Jun 17 stated that the MC was awarded for most valuable service while commanding a tank. He gained all his objectives and cleared up several enemy strong points which were holding up the infantry advance.

Given the date of this citation I can only assume the action was at either Flers-Courcelette or possibly Arras. If anyone out there has any info on Lt Martin I would be very grateful.

Lt J M Martin has a service file at Kew under WO374/46448. Not digital yet.

jdoyle

What an interesting extension to this thread ! It certainly seems that this is his full name,though positively not used on his Army service record index. A google will reveal a wider picture,but then I suspect that you know that !

you suspect correctly sotonmate, a possibly wider picture for himself and his half brother (KIA Sept 1936).

Would be interested to see if this is part of Capt B's research.

Johnny

• 7 months later...

Chaps apologies for late reply - I am researching the WW1 names on my local war memorial (Hadleigh, Suffolk). Last Christmas I was strolling through our town cemetery trying to find a number of CWGC headstones when I came across the civilian headstone of John Mulgrave Downes-Martin MC. I was curious about the MC and did a search. I really do not know much about this man, but he sounds fascinating. What is even more strange is that no-one in this small town seems to have ever heard of this man. I need to find out more.

Extract page 17 'The Tank Corps Honours and Awards 1916-1919.'

post-48147-0-85141500-1408057642_thumb.j

Philip

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the pointers. My main focus of research has been on those individuals who appear on our memorial. So I have not looked into the Downes-Martin story at all. I am however, very intrigued and especially with the suggestion that he had a brother KIA in 1936??? Any more steers would be much appreciated. Thanks

• 3 years later...

Capt B (et al)

Are you still researching Lt John Mulgrave Martin (aka John Mulgrave Downes-Martin)? If so I have the following documents scanned that I can post on this forum:

Birth certificate Oct  10,  1892 (certificate notarized 2 Feb 940)

Campaign Medal Card 1914-1915

Commission to 2nd Lt UK Ground Forces, 12 May 1915

Commission to Capt UK Ground Forces, 13 Jul 1920

Photograph, 1925

Marriage Certificate, 7 Apr 1926 (original)

Photograph, 1941

Letter requesting all Naval Officers to render whatever assistance J.M.Martin, on Admiralty Service, requires, 3 Jul 1942

Photograph of the yacht referenced in above letter (used to smuggle people into and out of Nazi occupied Norway), 1942

If you are interested, let me know which scanned images you want and I'll upload them in a later post.

All the best

Stephen Downes-Martin

Capt B

You asked about John's brother "KIA in 1936".

Edward Downes-Martin flew for the Escuadra Internacional against Franco. He flew his private plane to Spain and offered his plane and himself as a pilot to the Republican forces. He was shot down and killed near Talavera de la Reina on 22 Sep 1936 by Sergente Maggiore Montegnacco of the 2nd Escuadrilla de Caza Tercio (flying a CR.32 Factory Number NC 183). See page 18 of "Fiat CR.32 Aces of the Spanish Civil War" by Alfredo Logoluso.

All the best, Stephen