Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Different Regiments Named on Medals

hintonbelle

Can anyone help please?

In the course of my research into local soldiers, I have found correspondence between a soldier and the Rifle Records office. He started his service with the 8th Field Bakery, ASC but was transferred into King's Royal Rifle Corps in 1918. He is complaining that his 14 Star was issued with ASC named, but his British War & Victory medals are issued naming KRRC.

He was clearly very unhappy about not having his British war and Victory medals issued with the regimental name that he spent most of the war serving with, but got short shrift. The reply from the Rifles Records office suggests that they were required to issue the medals in the name of the regiment he was serving in at the end of hostilities.

I have speculated that the 14 Star had to be issued in the name of the regiment he was serving with when he entered the theatre of war.

Can anyone confirm my version? I'd be really grateful for any help.

Karin

You may get more focussed help if you can let us know his name, rank, and number(s). Assuming that he was not an officer, and did not change service eg. to the Navy or RAF, the general rule was that both 1914 / 1914-15 Stars and the War/Victory medals all reflect the FIRST regiment he served with in a Theatre of War. For the BWM/VIC however, the LAST regiment he is shown as serving with on his medal index card was the one responsible for issuing them; and they will be recorded on the Last's medal rolls, BUT still bearing his First regiment's details on the rim of the medals.

The only things that tend to differ are that the Stars reflect his rank/appointment on first landing in a Theatre of War, whereas the BWM/VIC show the highest rank he achieved during the war.

He really shouldn't have received a mixed-unit set, and the KRRC Regt. Record Office would be dead wrong in suggesting anything else, though it was certainly the KRRC who were responsible for issuing the pieces. Mistakes and errors in issue are not unknown, but his MIC card or cards should show what happened!

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Clive. That is nicely clear, and I think means that "my" man's BMW/VIC medal was issued in error by KCC. Just in case I have got that round my neck - and hopefully for interest too - I attach the correspondence. He was a private throughout, ASC no: 11480 and KCC no: 205011

Regards,

Karin

post-101810-0-48584700-1389196851_thumb.

post-101810-0-00220300-1389196889_thumb.