Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver Badge Award: Why is he not listed?

Denmags

Hello,

Driver, Isaac Rosenberg, Royal Field Artillery, 176063

Isaac Rosenberg was discharged as permanently unfit, 100% degree of disability, on 18/02/1919. He was awarded a pension until 19/08/1919. His death certificate shows he died, aged 34, at the family home at Edinburgh on 16/05/1919(General Register Office of Scotland). He was at the Malarial Centre, Berwick upon Tweed and then was taken to the hospital at Edinburgh Castle just before his discharge.

I found his service record on ancestry and it states " Silver Badge

25 2 19"

I have tried looking at the Silver Badge Awards in various ways but cannot find him. There is an Isaac Rosenberg but nothing matches: enlistment date; regiment; home address etc. It is definitely not him!

At first I was unable to find a pension record on ancestry, however, following on from another Isaac Rosenberg's pension record, the next new soldier's record was his.

Would there be a reason Isaac is not the Silver Badge Awards Roll? Could it just be an error and they missed him out?

Thanks

Mags

Hi Mags, where are you seeing " Silver Badge

25 2 19"

I am missing it. I don't know the answer, but I wonder when they stopped issuing SWB's?

Mike

Later than March 1919 as they broadened the qualifications in 1919 and a lot of men applied for one retrospectively as it were.

Mike. The entry is way way down among the service papers, took me ages to find it. No mention on his MIC as to the award of the SWB . Ralph.

Mike. The entry is way way down among the service papers, took me ages to find it. No mention on his MIC as to the award of the SWB . Ralph.

Its usually on either the MIC or a separate card and by the date of his discharge the completion of the application was part of the standard discharge process however if he was discharged whilst in hospital he might not have been in a fit state to sign whatever was necessary and someone at the hospital may have messed up the paperwork.

Hello Mike,

There are two sets of service records for Isaac. He lived at 8 Henry Street, Edinburgh.

The set with 23 pages. When the first page comes up, the bottom of my screen says 90881 of 97244.

I found the information on 90894. Army Form B104 - 53, Inside Sheet (for Original Attestation). There are lots of abbreviations I don't understand, however at the bottom of the page it gives the info I posted.

Mags

2nd issue SWB = Aug 1918- Dec 1919; 3rd issue SWB = Dec 1919 - Apr 1920; 4th issue SWB Apr 1920 - June 1922.(According to a Google entry)

Hello Mike,

I found it difficult to read too but know he did get a pension.

As Centurion says, perhaps he was not fit to sign anything. I never gave that a thought. He died in May so about three months after the discharge. Cause of death was Pulmonary Tuberculosis and Laryngeal Tuberculosis so a Silver Badge probably would have been the last thing on his mind.

Mags

I cannot find Issac Rosenberg on the CWGC register

As his death, although shortly after his discharge, was almost certainly caused by his war service

should he not be included on the Commonwealth Graves Register ?

regards Ray

I cannot find Issac Rosenberg on the CWGC register

As his death, although shortly after his discharge, was almost certainly caused by his war service

should he not be included on the Commonwealth Graves Register ?

regards Ray

Almost certainly is not sufficient, I'm afraid.
However:
Cause of death was Pulmonary Tuberculosis and Laryngeal Tuberculosis (see #11)
There must be documentary evidence that his Tuberculosis was attributable to his war service for him to be eligible for CWGC Commemoration and there is a sheet in his records HERE. (Award Sheet - First Award) which states:
physically unfit
tuberculosis
attrib.
This is well worth pursuing Mags.
CGM

Ok Mags

I will rephrase that

His death may be attributed to his war service !

would you like to volunteer to pass on the details to the In from the cold project ?

regards Ray

I think this one stands a good chance

Who has got a copy of his DC

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I will take this case on myself

Chris