Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grimsby fisherman....William Argent

slick63

A bit of a long shot but I thought I`d put this out here, as there are people who seem to know a fair bit about this area.

William Argent was my great grandfather, born in 1878 (I think), married to Susan Gordt in 1911 in Humberside, and resided in Grimsby.

My gran once told me he was a Captain of a trawler at some point, and I remember seeing an old paper cutting years ago describing how he brought his trawler back from Iceland (possibly) with a hole in the side.

From doing a search on the site I understand that some trawlers may have been used on war work of various types.

I would be grateful if someone could either tell me more about the man, or point me in the right direction.

Here`s a picture of the chap probably taken around 1928.

Many thanks

nan+family2.jpg

Edited by slick63

Hi,

William Argent was skipper of the Tilia GY 1172, 1909 thro to 1912 and the Aralia Gy 371,1913, in Grimsby crew lists.

1911 record:

Vessel Tilia; owner Sir George Doughty MP; skipper William Argent, certificate 8759 Aged 32 London.

1913 record:

Vessel Aralia; owner Sir George Doughty MP; skipper William Argent, certificate 8759 Aged 34 London.

AVL 1919: ARGENT, William, 84 Granville Street. Fisherman

Had a quick look in Discovery (PRO lists), but didn't find him, but that is not to say he isn't there!

Terry

Many thanks chaps, didn`t expect a response so soon or with so much information.

I`m presuming from Horatio`s post that if he was on war work then he would have had an RNR rank of some sort ?

At least it allows me to piece together a bit more about the chap. :)

He was a Sea Fishing Apprentice at Grimsby, but the original register he would be in, is missing so brief details are given in: BT150 / 51 / F, ARGENT William [signed indentures], 01 Aug 1893

I'll look him up next time I'm in the archives.

Terry

• 9 years later...

Welcome to the forum Tankie 1. 

This prompt @slick63 may draw his attention.

Is it possible that this 1935 clipping on FindmyPast newspapers might be the incident referred to ? 

chrome_screenshot_1674995288687.png

chrome_screenshot_1674995246025.png

Charlie 

Edit. That address 23 Park Avenue is indeed the same on 1939 register for William Argent born 24/5/1878 but his wife is Edith?

4 hours ago, Tankie1 said:

Hey Slick63, this gentleman is also my great grandfather and remember my nan telling me the same story. What a small world

Hi Tankie1,

I think I know who you are, I`ve sent a PM :)

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Welcome to the forum Tankie 1. 

This prompt @slick63 may draw his attention.

Is it possible that this 1935 clipping on FindmyPast newspapers might be the incident referred to ? 

chrome_screenshot_1674995288687.png.e5d082ca37e5913759784776a65ce51f.png

chrome_screenshot_1674995246025.png.c34d04dd42a4a05e1f3681a58ef98cce.png 

Charlie 

Edit. That address 23 Park Avenue is indeed the same on 1939 register for William Argent born 24/5/1898 but his wife is Edith?

Edith was his second wife. 

That could be the incident, although there was mention of a hole in the hull in the clipping I saw years ago. Could be different episodes....dangerous work.

12 minutes ago, slick63 said:

Edith was his second wife. 

That could be the incident, although there was mention of a hole in the hull in the clipping I saw years ago. Could be different episodes....dangerous work.

Understatement!

6 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Understatement!

Indeed.

I`ve re-uploaded a pic of William in the first post with his four daughters. The lady in the pic is his second wife Edith.

• 2 weeks later...