Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital endowed beds

POC

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a picture showing an endowed hospital bed, with the plaque on the wall above?

I have seen such a picture once and its stayed in my mind but I have simply not been able to locate it again.

Any help mose welcome.

Thanks

Dave

Hello Dave

I believe there may be a photograph of one in the Cumbria Archive Service WDK collection relating to Lady Bagot's Hospital of Friendship in Belgium. I could check this for you but if you decided you wanted a photograph of it you would need to contact the archive office and purchase a copy from there. You may well have another way of getting hold of a photograph and not need to pursue this avenue but if you wish the offer is there.

Kind regards.

I recall visiting Shrewsbury in 1992 the old Shrewsbury hospital still had at least 3 plaques donated during the war fof beds still on display ,possiby worth contacting the local museum .

Hi Guys

Thanks for the tips. I can follow each of these up. There are also several references to these on the National War Memorial Inventory.

Scarce things and worth preserving.

Thanks again

Dave

• 4 years later...

The item in Cumbria Archives (Kendal) is Lady Bagot's scrapbook from her Hospital of Friendship (Church Army) that operated in Adenkierke, Belgium until 1917. It was supported by national and local subscriptions. Here in Levens Local History Group, we have a list of the subscribers and a photograph of our village's subscribed bed - copy attached.

Levens Bed.jpg