Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L.S.G.C. or not?

stuart rowles

I have a George William Rowles who served in the Royal Navy from 12.7.1904 until 16.9.1924. He received a pension and I am wondering if he qualified for a long service medal. He was an Articifer Class 2 and his number was 271725. He was awarded a trio for WW1.

Does anyone have a list of who was awarded this medal or do I need to go to Kew. Any help welcomed.

I dont think he served long enough - from memory you needed 21 years service!

The RN LSGC rolls are available via Ancestry (searchable) or can be downloaded for free via the National Archives website (not searchable - but the indexes are available)

Sepoy

Qualification for the naval award at that time was, IIRC, 15 years.

Again, IIRC, all RN service records of the period are online through the NA website.

Cheers,

GT.

What code numbers should I be looking for on the National Archive site for the LSGC Navy Rolls.

I can't seem to find the right one.

All the Royal Naval Medal Rolls can be downloaded - for free! :) - from the National Archives website under their "Digital microfilm project" but there is no searchable index like Ancestry.
All the Naval rolls are under ADM 171 here
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/browse/C1880?v=r

Just scroll down the right hand column and use the "next 30" button at the top of the right column.

The RN LSGC start at ADM 171/73 (1912 -19); ADM171/140 - 146 (1920 - 1932) and ADM171/148 - 159 (up to 1970.)

You will also find the WW1 Naval Service medals in these series.

Army Medal rolls (not WW1) can be found under WO100 ie Boer War Medal Rolls. Army LSGCs can be found under WO102. Again these can be downloaded for free.

​It is a magnificent resource.

Sepoy

Thanks Sepoy.

Using your link it took me straight to the lists I was looking for.

I shall spend an enjoyable few hours searching them.

Cheers.