Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Simeon Haigh 2

marshdeen

Hi again in new thread

I have managed to reduce photo of burial register entry for Simeon Haigh and attach it to a new thread. Sorry if this breaks any rules it wouldn't attach to a reply on old thread. Is this now of any help to his case for recognition.? I would so much like it to be.

post-103950-0-36381600-1387748536.jpg

O dear !

Seems I have had to reduce it so much that it is now not readable. Never mind back to the original idea of E-mail attachment or perhaps postman if I could have an address please.

Have sent a PM

Chris

If it's any help, Chris, the Death Registration details are:-

Name: Simeon Haigh. Birth Date: abt 1895. Date of Registration: Dec 1918. Age at Death: 23.
Registration District: Patrington, Yorkshire East Riding. Volume: 9d. Page: 765.

Thanks for that Kevin but we will not need a DC in this case as his service record shows died in service

Chris

Blimey, just looked up Patrington and it's right out in the Humber Estuary.

Bit parky in December!!! Brrh! Kill or cure, unfortunately the former....

At least he's being remembered now...: :poppy:

I wonder if CWGC will note his brother George also died?

Father was Winfred (that's how it's spelt on the census form) Mary Ann was their daughter, aged 26 in 1911.

Therefore assume Martha Jane was his mother, died before 1911 so think she was the first to be buried in the family plot.

Name: Winfred Haigh. Birth Date: abt 1857. Event Type: Marriage. Father: James Haigh. Marriage Date: 23 Feb 1884.

Marriage Age: 27. Spouse: Martha Jane Beaumont. Spouse Marriage Age: 27. Archive Location: Kirklees.

Parish or Chapel: Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Spouse Father: Stephen Beaumont. Residence Place: Golcar.

Name: Martha Jane Haigh. Birth Year: abt 1857. Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1909. Age at Death: 52.

Registration District: Huddersfield, Yorkshire West Riding. Volume: 9a. Page: 300.

Did Beaumont also die?

Name: Beaumont Haigh. Birth Place: Huddersfield. Residence: Meltham, Yorks. Death Date: 8 Dec 1915.

Death Location: Mediterranean. Enlistment Location: Halifax.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment). Battalion: 8th Battalion. Number: 3/10837.

Type of Casualty: Died. Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre.

Kevin

He is on CWGC as B Haigh

Chris

Thanks Chris

I don't have any further information about him except that he had a brother George Haigh who also died in WW1 and a brother Beaumont Haigh who served in WW1.

I must have got confused as I read the original posters first thread to mean that GEORGE was killed and that Beaumont survived . Doh!

Have a good Christmas, there's a lot of people out there who have much to thank you for.

The same goes for John Hartley and the IFTC team!

Well done to you all, in my New Years Honours List!

Hi everyone

Details that I have for the Haigh family of Lockwoods Fold, Scapegoat Hill:

Simeon Haigh

Born June 1895 in Golcar

Died 26th November 1918 Age 23 Death registered Patrington 9d 765. Buried Scapegoat Hill Baptist Cemetery Section 1 Number 25.

Father Winfred Haigh (died 2nd June 1913 in same grave as Simeon)

Mother Martha Jane Haigh nee Beaumont (died March 1909 in same grave as Simeon)

Brothers Lincoln Haigh, Beaumont Haigh, William Haigh, George Haigh.

Sisters Eliza Haigh, Eunice Haigh (married Tom Ainley), Mary Ann Haigh (died 9th May 1923 in same grave as Simeon)

Served with The Leicester Regiment. 60734. Enlisted 26th July 1918..Transferred to West Gen Manchester 23rd November 1918.

George Haigh.

Family details as above.

Born 1893

Died 25th April 1918 (Reported missing presumed dead) Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial Panel 42-47 and 162

Served with 1st/5th bat. Prince of Wales Own (WRR). 54873. Enlisted 11th December 1915.

Both Beaumont and William served during the 1st World War and survived because they appear on the church plaque surrounding the list of "KIlled" and Beaumont appears in the Military records for George as receiving his medals in August 1921.

I have not researched any of the survivors as yet but there are obviously lots from the same families as the dead because I have come across their names whilst sifting through all the information for the 38 who died.

I have also found articles in the local papers for some of the 38.

After Christmas I will be starting to compile the Book of Remembrance and will be doing further research on the 2 soldiers that I can't match up as yet.

So Happy Christmas to you all.

Hi,

A big thank you to you all. Simeon's case has been put forward by the kind people from this site. My special thanks to Mr Harley. Now all we have to do is be patient and I will concentrate on tracing Gunner Herbert Haigh and Private Friend Whitwam's families. I don't want to put unknown.

• 1 year later...

Re message 12. Could I query the listing of Lincoln HAIGH (Brothers). I believe this is a mistranscription of Simeon, which I reported to Ancestry uk and they accepted it was an transcription error. It was good to see that Simeon now has a CWGC entry.

JustMrsS