Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding Out If Medals Were Collected

sbaxter77

Hi Guys

You have all been so helpful and my trip im planning for the family of Frederick Duffield 4765 9th Lancers has been en riched with help from you guys.

I need one more bit of help if you could!

What is the easiest way to find out if the medals he was awared (1914 Star & Clasp , BW Medal and Victory Medal) were collected?

I have the medal index card so is there something on there, or is it a case of contacting someone?

As always Thankyou in advance!

Stu

Normally, if a man's service record has survived, it would contain the slips that were sent out with the medals and returned as receipts to show that they had been received. [The medals for soldiers other than officers were sent out automatically to the man's last known address - officers I believe - had to apply for their medals]. I have seen on medal cards notes that medals had been returned, either for adjustment [names wrongly spelt, wrong initials etc.] or, occasionally, a note to the effect that the recipient either could not be found or had declined to accept them. In those last cases I understand that the medals were destroyed. If your man's medal card has no such notes, then I would assume that he did receive the medals to which he was entitled.

Dave Swarbrick

Hi

The medal roll may also indicate if he got the medals or not - http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/campaignmedals.html

Given he was KIA in 1914, the medals would have gone to his next of kin as in his service records.

If the NOK could not be contacted, then they would have been scrapped.

Have you looked for his service records? If they have been destroyed then the medal roll should have something on it.

regards

Robert

There is nothing on his MIC to suggest that his medals were ever returned so one would assume that they had been received in good order

Jon

Hi

The medal roll may also indicate if he got the medals or not - http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/campaignmedals.html

Given he was KIA in 1914, the medals would have gone to his next of kin as in his service records.

If the NOK could not be contacted, then they would have been scrapped.

Have you looked for his service records? If they have been destroyed then the medal roll should have something on it.

regards

Robert

Guys, brilliant help as always!

I havnt found his service records yet, this will be my next port of call you think?

Stu

Hi Stu

I've had an extensive look on the service records, can't seem to find him using the A***stry search function. Not as Frederick, or F J, or Fred.

Looks like you might be unlucky with the service records.

Any clue as to where he came from? If we can get him on the 1911 census it sometimes helps narrow down the manual lookup, because the Service number filter never works for me.

Regards

Ian

Hi Stu

I've had an extensive look on the service records, can't seem to find him using the A***stry search function. Not as Frederick, or F J, or Fred.

Looks like you might be unlucky with the service records.

Any clue as to where he came from? If we can get him on the 1911 census it sometimes helps narrow down the manual lookup, because the Service number filter never works for me.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

He was born in Kentish Town and parents lived in Reading at time of his death

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

The MIC for my Great Uncle, Regimental Sergeant Major Robert Dolan died 23 March 1918, Memorialized Tyne Cot Cemetary, Zonnebeke, Belgium indicates "appl for DCM". Does this mean applied for, or approved for? And would there be anywhere I could find out what the act of gallantry was that warranted the Distinguished Conduct Medal?

I live in Canada so don't have access to many original sources.

Also, since he was in the British Army from the Boer War till he was killed in WW1 can I determine when the medal was 'approved', i.e.which war? Which battle?

I know he was with the Royal Inniskilling Fusillers #13133. 7th/8th Battalion. I have some paperwork from a website but it's not complete.

Hi

From SDGW this is him-

Name:

Robert Dolan

Birth Place:

Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone

Death Date:

27 Mar 1918

Death Location:

France & Flanders

Enlistment Location:

Glasgow

R.S.M.

Regiment:

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Battalion:

7/8th Battalion

Number:

Type of Casualty:

Killed in action

Theatre of War:

Western European Theatre

He did apply for his DCM in 1925, but as DCM citations are on Ancestry, I can find no reference to him for it?

This is probably him in the Boer War-

Name:

Robert Dolan

Campaign or Service:

South Africa - Second Boer War

Service Date:

1899-1902

Service Location:

South Africa

Regiment or Unit Name:

2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Regimental Number:

As a Private was entitled to QSA with OFS and T clasps, and KSA with SA 1902 clasp. On another roll as R Dolan with 2 other clasps as well.

Tried searching London Gazette - http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/1914-10-11;1922-12-31/all=Robert+Dolan/start=21

Found nothing under Boer War or WW1 times.

Seems a bit odd?

Sorry I cant be of more help

regards

Robert