Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

jscott

I'm currently reading 'Storm of Steel' (which I highly recommend), and in it the author recounts how he lost, and then found, his iron cross during a battle. I do not collect medals, but had not realised that the Germans wore these medals in the trenches. I can see how a first class iron cross could be worn (as it pinned directly on to the tunic), but did soldiers also wear second class crosses and other medals in the trenches? Or did they just wear the ribbon bars?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks, Jonathan

I was under the impression that they wore the ribbons (folks in my family certainly did) but sent the medals themselves home for safe keeping in most cases, but perhaps other pals know otherwise?

-Daniel

My understanding (and it continued in WW2) is that EK1 was worn on tbe jacket. EK2 was a ribbon through the button hole. There was a tailors' trade in 'replacement' awards for daily wear. Yes, the EK was worn as a ribbon but full size as well.

Many EK2s are dug up by diggers in former Eastern European battlefields. It's not inconceivable that the recipients wore the ribbon in the buttonhole and kept the rest in their tunic pocket.

I won't elaborate on my personal opinion of said diggers...

As has already been posted, the EKI was worn on the tunic, the EKII was worn as a button hole or a ribbon bar. some of the other awards such as the wound badge were also worn on the tunic.