Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gallipoli photo history?

Gallipoli Trench Rat

Can anyone recommended a good photo history of the Gallipoli Campaign? Looking for preferably a coffee table sized book with large high quality images printed on quality paper with a good selection of photographs. I have not had any luck finding such a book... I have quite the collection of Gallipoli related books but the one thing missing from my library is a good photo history of the campaign. As one would expect there is quite the dearth of Gallipoli books for sale here in the US, so I order most of my volumes from the UK and Australia and I do not remember seeing any photo histories devoted to the Gallipoli Campaign for sale in bookstores during my studies in England. Any and all leads/recommendations would be appreciated! Thank you!

Steve Newman's "Gallipoli Then and Now" is as close as you might get. Image quality is rather poor though - probably more to do with the print cost/production. A useful book nonetheless. Not exactly a photo history but one of the few Gallipoli books with sufficiently large format to do some justice to the grainy photos. There are some on-line galleries too. Skipman is your man for those.

As I am sure you are aware, small books don't do small grainy photos much justice and unless the viewer has forensic knowledge of the ground, most WWI photos of ground are extremely difficult to understand and usually require overly complex descriptions that fail to convey any idea of what one is looking at. The GWF has spent many productive hours trying to identify old Gallipoli photos with the modern terrain. Not helped by a few mis-labelled photos in some publications viz Dead Man's Gully. In the 'land of the blind, the one-eyed king' of historical optical imagery on Gallipoli is GWF member Krithia MG

P.S. I thought the US Marine Corps still used Gallipoli as a case study. It wasn't a complete disaster; there were some good lessons as the USMC appreciated.

Not exactly a history, but Gallipoli Revisited by Janda Gooding has many photographs from Bean's 1919 tour compared to modern ones.

Keith

I am quite sure there will be something of this nature produced for 2015? There are many iconic images that could be used for such a production.

Ian

The only book that I know of that goes some way to the OP's wish list is Peter Liddle's 'Gallipoli 1915 - Pens, Pencils and Cameras at War', but it's a slim volume.

'Gallipoli the fatal shore' by Harvey Broadbent published by Viking ( 2005 ) is a coffee table size book with lots of illustrations on good quality paper, i think i purchased my copy in a discount bookshop here in the U.K a few years ago. I am not an expert on Gallipoli so could not comment on how accurate it is.

The only book that I know of that goes some way to the OP's wish list is Peter Liddle's 'Gallipoli 1915 - Pens, Pencils and Cameras at War', but it's a slim volume.

There are a few errors in captions in this book. It is quite old and a lot of new material has surfaced since its publication. It is a valuable addition to any Gallipoli library and fairly cheap but the image quality is poor in my view with far too much contrast in a few photos. MG