The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WW1 battleship

Guest Mick taylor

If you find it in kit form, a local model shop or club will build one up to high standard for a small fee. Can't I know of any kits off hand a Uboat maybe.

If you find it in kit form, a local model shop or club will build one up to high standard for a small fee. Can't I know of any kits off hand a Uboat maybe.

Airfix used to do Dreadnought

Airfix used to do Dreadnought

You can still get the Airfix HMS Iron Duke, Jellicoe's flagship at Jutland.

post-66715-0-55887000-1387236503_thumb.j

There is also a large Dreadnought model from Trumpeter

post-66715-0-02831900-1387236814_thumb.j

There are also card models of Dreadnought, Iron Duke, Lion, Invincible and many others

post-66715-0-96810600-1387237064_thumb.p

David

Trumpeter do HMS Warspite (1915 condition) and HMS Queen Elizabeth (1918 condition) in 1/700 scale. U boat laboratorium do an early coastal type in resin (mostly one piece though) in 1/350. Would be nice to have some plastic kits around, especially of the smaller types inc. u boats, destroyers etc

There are models in all sorts of sizes and prices for USS Texas which was a WW1 super dreadnought and served attached to the British fleet (also served in the Pacific in WW2 and still exists at Houston.

Thought Iron Duke was WW2. Not very good with age of floaty things!

Built 1912, scrapped 1940's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Iron_Duke_(1912)

Thank you Mr Upton. Bombed in WW2 may of mislead my thinking. Modelshop tomorrow!

Yes as a depot ship at Scapa Flow, most of her(if the Iron Duke can be a her?) armament and armour removed.

Yes as a depot ship at Scapa Flow, most of her(if the Iron Duke can be a her?) armament and armour removed.

Well Nelson, Rodney, Anson. and Hood were all hers! In British nautical tradition ships are always female (possibly to give sailors the opportunities to make heavy handed coarse jokes about scraping bottoms etc etc!)

Well Nelson, Rodney, Anson. and Hood were all hers! In British nautical tradition ships are always female (possibly to give sailors the opportunities to make heavy handed coarse jokes about scraping bottoms etc etc!)

Yes, but they were all Sailors :hypocrite:

Gosh - have some models of pre deadnought battle ships built by my father about 35 years ago - wonder what they would cost today