Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help with medal ID

amydoc

First post. Researching my great grandfathers (A.J Schaffter, Subadar Major, IMD) WWI service record in the Indian Medical Service. Luckily he wrote a short book so I know where he was and what he did but can't find any references to his medals. I do have a picture of him I had restored but can't make out what the medals are. I believe he was called up for temporary duty so I'm not sure if his records are as available as the regular officers.

The picture I have is 1.1MB so I can't upload it directly but put a copy in photo bucket.

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/mshashikant/library/

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum.

He is wearing a 1914-15 Star; British War Medal; Victory Medal; Indian General Service Medal, 1908 with bar???; 1935 Jubilee Medal and 1937 Coronation Medal.

There are a number of different bars for the Indian General Service Medal, 1908 and the only way you can confirm which one is to check an Indian Army List with a war service section. Unfortunately, I cant get to my copies including War Service for 1922 and 1940 at the moment. I am certain others can provide this information.

Hope this helps

Sepoy

Most probably IGS 1908-35 with the clasp 'Northwest Frontier 1919'. The rest look good. :thumbsup: I think.

I think you mean Afghanistan NWF 1919.

Bearing in mind the period of service, I do not think you can say this with any certainty. It could well be for Waziristan 1919-21 or 1921-24; North West Frontier 1930 -31 or North West Frontier 1935. And that is ignoring the other possibilities in Malabar, Burma, and Mohmand. Subadar Major Schaffter's War Service entry will need to be checked. I can do this tomorrow.

Sepoy

... Subadar Major Schaffter's War Service entry will need to be checked. I can do this tomorrow.

Sepoy

Thanks. I was hoping someone may have access to his record. the pamphlet he wrote covers 3 years of service from 1914-1917. During that time, he was in Marseille, Boulogne and Hardelot. Though the majority, 2.5 years, was with the 2/3 Ghurka Rifles in Egypt.

I'm not sure if he had any further service. On the cover of his book he indicates he is retired so perhaps he served for longer, acquiring additional medals?

Needless to say, thanks to Mother in Law coming to stay, everything has been dumped into my Office and I cannot gain access to most of my reference books, including my 1940 War Service supplement to the Indian Army List!

The 1924 Supplement is not much help. The entry under Sub-Assistant Surgeons is
Schaffter, A.J. (Subadar)
The War of 1914 - 21 - Operations in France 1914 - 15: Egypt 1915 - 17.

He must have had post World War One service to achieve the rank of Subadar Major and to received the IGS08, 1935 Jubilee and 1937 Coronation Medals.

It may be worthwhile joining the http://www.britishmedalforum.com

Not only would the British Medal Forum Members be most interested to see your photograph, but I can think of two or three Forum Members who would be able to provide the required information, where I have failed.

Sepoy

I hope my Private message was of help

I think you mean Afghanistan NWF 1919.

Bearing in mind the period of service, I do not think you can say this with any certainty. It could well be for Waziristan 1919-21 or 1921-24; North West Frontier 1930 -31 or North West Frontier 1935. And that is ignoring the other possibilities in Malabar, Burma, and Mohmand. Subadar Major Schaffter's War Service entry will need to be checked. I can do this tomorrow.

Sepoy

Correct, my mind was elsewhere as usual. :whistle: